Ada

zonova

Has anyone in here programmed with Ada before? It's (potentially) an extremely fast, object oriented language that was initially created for military use. Is there a compiler for it on the Pandora?

learned programming using ADA... no idea on compiler for the openpandora through... I don't have my pandora... and I'm not using ADA anymore. in fact I only used it at university...

I've taught in ADA, back in the late 1990s. As far as I know, gnat (the GNU Ada compiler) is a part of the GCC, so it ought to be possible to include it when building compilers for pandora. Ask PtitSeb, I think.

Then again, I was very happy to leave ADA behind - It was, at least, a cumbersome finicky nitpicky bastard of all the boring bits of Pascal/Modula and military bureucracy. 

The problem with Gnat is that you need Gnat to compile itself. So I haven't try to compile it. I must say I don't really like Ada. I prefer Pascal by far, much less strict than Ada. If I find some basic version of Gnat for ARM, I may look at it...

:D   :D   :D

That fits very well with my impression of ADA as a language :)

I remember my office back then. Amongst the languages we used in teaching were ADA and Scheme. I had, of course, the standards documentation for all languages we used. The R5RS (the standard for Scheme) in its entirety was smaller than the TOC of the ADA standard... :D

I was a professional Ada programmer for about 10 years...

I wouldn't have said it was (potentially) extremely fast by any stretch of the imagination?  Also, it's object based, not object oriented - and they way they did it with Ada 95 always felt a bit clumsy.

Saying that, I've got a soft spot for it as a language - it's very readable compared to C/C++ and the built in tasking model is easy to get your head round.

@moxie - I used to know the Ada 83 LRM almost by heart  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back