Accidentally Put 12 Volts In

Lylep

Still Fresh
I accidentally put 12V into my GP2X when trough the MasterPlug mains adapter. It was set to negative grounded like it should be but the volts were set to high. Is there any way that I can fix it?

Did you try using it? There is a chance that it could be still be ok. If it doesn't work one of the smart people will have to tell you whats wrong. People have done this before so someone should know

Yeah I tried it with the adapter at the normal 3 Volts and also with batteries.

It is hard to put the smoke back into a device...

Sad to say, but it is probably toast.

Only a certain few components will be toast if I remember correctly. There may still be hope of repair!

Peter R said:
Only a certain few components will be toast if I remember correctly. There may still be hope of repair!
Given the cost of servicing the unit, it's probably not worth it. You can pick up a used one for under $100.
(for the f100)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're brave you can open it up and see what is fried. These days electronic devices have several components which will actually blow before damaging key things (like CPUs etc).

There's several things that it could be such as a capacitor or diode. Maybe even a resistor if you're lucky (as they are really cheap). The hard part will be soldering a new component back on.....

If you're unfamiliar with electronics, I'd suggest selling it and buying a new one. I'm sure somebody on these forums is capable of fixing it. At the least making use of various parts (such as the screen).

The 1st component that would blow is the LSTK chip, if you are skilled with SMT soldering you can replace it on the cheap.

Blah said:
The 1st component that would blow is the LSTK chip, if you are skilled with SMT soldering you can replace it on the cheap.
LTSK, but yeah, thats probably gone bang. Its main job is (was?) a DC/DC converter, giving 3.3V out of the 2.4V the batteries supply. For some reason, it's also used when the dc adaptor is connected. They cost around the £5 mark (From the likes of Farnell in 1's), so worth a try if you have a soldering iron.

Ill try opening it up and seeing if anything looks obviously damaged but I don't really know what im looking for :(.

Lylep said:
Ill try opening it up and seeing if anything looks obviously damaged but I don't really know what im looking for :(.
LTC3402EMS.jpg

Hello,

i got an F-200 with overvoltage damage like Lylep has, too. I want to repair it for my friend.
i also looked for this LTSK or its replacement chip, but the F-200 is different here:

LTC3402EMS.jpg

This is an F-100 with the known LTSK chip (picture out of the GP2x wiki)

gp2xf200_no_ltsk.jpg

This is a picture of the F-200 PCB, same corner as the upper pic.

No LTSK to find here. The same IC as named U40 you can see near the hole is also present
at the right side of the PCB, i think its the amplifier for the speaker. At least its not pincompatible with the LTSK or its replacement.

Would be great if someone knows which part does the voltage regulating on the F-200.

EDIT: Here is another pic of the F200 pcb.
f200_pcb01_small.jpg

I think the chip labelled U6 (WM9715 77AEKA1) might be the regulator IC of the F-200.
Sadly i was not able to find any info on that IC.

EDIT 2: Info about U6 found, its in fact the AC97 audio and touchscreen controller chip.

Regards,
Beetle

Beetle said:
I think the chip labelled U6 (77AEKA1) might be the regulator IC of the F-200.
Sadly i was not able to find any info on that IC.
Looks more like an audio amp/codec chip to me.

Wow, I didnt realise they did such a PCB redisign on the F200. It actually looks like a production quality PCB, unlike the board in my MK1 1st Edition (number 229, still going strong :) ).

I think your best bet is just going to be tracing the power line from the plug and seeing where it goes.
edit: how about that 8-pinned fella down by the batter terminal? Looks like U40 maybe. Next to the big C106 capacitor.

Here is a closeup of U40.

audiochip.jpg

Since the other side of the PCB has exatcly the same chip near to the speaker-plug,
my guess is, its the amplifier curcuit.

identified Chips so far:
- U26 ----- USB/SD interface
- U31 ----- CMOS/TTL Bus switcher
- U13 ----- TTL Logic
- U12 ----- TV output video encoder
- U40,U41- Amplifiers
- U6 ------- Touchscreen and AC97 audio in/out (input, too! How about a microphone mod?)

Back