Accessing My Home Pc From Uni

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
Right, i have absolutely no knowledge of this whatsoever so a google search would have been pointless as i would have no clue what to search for.

basically, in my privately rented house at uni i have purchased a 512k adsl connection. its a very cheap one and thus i do not have access to certain features of the internet (bittorrent being the crucial one). At home also have a 512k adsl connection but this is a fully fledged one and i have no problems getting hold of all the O.C. and 24 episodes i could desire.

i would like to be able to access my home pc from uni with my laptop, tell it what to d/l and then transfer it from the home pc to my laptop. is this doable? what sort of software will i need?

thanks in advance

You'll need Real VNC. Just download that and install it on both, then set it up.

It's pretty straightforward really.

Then I guess you could have an FTP server running on your desktop and download from it via FTP.

You also need to ensure that your IP is static. If it isn't, you need to get some DNS program that will let you have a static address (like kicks-ass.net) so you can always access your computer by the same address.

if its XP then use remote desktop, the RDP protocol is a lot better than VNC.
and uses port 3389 TCP dependant on the firewall your uni has you may have to tunnel it through ssh or change the port for RDP.

if its XP then use remote desktop, the RDP protocol is a lot better than VNC.
and uses port 3389 TCP dependant on the firewall your uni has you may have to tunnel it through ssh or change the port for RDP.
yeah, Remote desktop,
Programs> Accessories> Remote Desktop Connection.

But thats only Windows compatible I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
he also wants to transfer files from home to uni, the best way would probably use ftp server software but your transfer rate will be 15k max..

Back