Abuse Ported To Gp2x V1.0

Thanks for another great port you put a lot of effort into perfecting. Its impressive the things you do for your ports. This is definitely one of the cooler uses of the f200 touchscreen I've seen. Thanks for including lefty controls as well.

One thing: It would be nice if an f200 user could also select to use non touchscreen controls.

I'm an huge Abuse fan, so thank you for the awesome porting, fast to load, fast to play and almost perfect!

If you're planning to even inprove it with a future release i had some ideas:

- Could be possible to move down the weapons bar and renderize more than the 340x200 map to have a sort of fullscreen without scaling anything? i mean just rendering more of the map instead to have the view clamped at the original size.

- Maybe something that let you customize the buttons like an .ini file will be great (also because would be nice to have up for jumping and L for powers for me), but it's very marginal, the fullscreen stuff would be awesome

Thanks a lot for your efforts, it's a VERY well made port, not only for the stability but also because you took care to translate the tutorial dialogues to meet the gp2x controls and another lot of tiny details.

THANK YOU! :D

Alex. said:
I never played Abuse before either, but it seems like a cool game. Thanks for taking the amazing amount of time to do such a solid port, it's a lot of fun to play even with F-100 controls :) The graphics are a bit too dark, but tweaking Gmenu2x's gamma setting should take care of this.

All your ports are of incredible quality, speaking of which it's about time I got into some more Star Control :)

Thanks again!

you can change the gamma even inside the game, there's a voice in the menu, well at least on the PC version, haven't tried here
edit: yes it works ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm...

I don't know what I am doing wrong here...

The game loads. But touch screen doesn't work.

Anyone experiencing same prob?

I'm unsure if it is a bug within the port but when I put the Music volume to nothing (Turn the Music off), it seems to automatically put the Music to the default loudest setting when you go to another level/area of the game or when the music track changes. The SFX stays off when set to nothing.

Not sure if your already aware of this Senor Quack.

FYI, I have the F200 with FW 4.0.0

Tag5 said:
I'm unsure if it is a bug within the port but when I put the Music volume to nothing (Turn the Music off), it seems to automatically put the Music to the default loudest setting when you go to another level/area of the game or when the music track changes. The SFX stays off when set to nothing.

Not sure if your already aware of this Senor Quack.

FYI, I have the F200 with FW 4.0.0

yes maybe it's a bug, because when you turn down the volume, when the bg music loop ends and start again, the volume returns to 100%

Couldn't resist giving this a go. Looks really nice - have heard of Abuse but not actually ever played it. Isn't it funny how a nice port gives you that incentive to give new things a try?

I loaded it up on my trusty F100 (w/ DaveC d-pad mod).
It works fairly nicely but I think that the controls aren't geared up for the DaveC d-pad mod, is that right?
The mouse pointer does funny things when I move in diagonals and I think I'm missing some angles when I shoot diagonally. I'll test on another GP2X that has the original controller.

But what an awesome port - I can appreciate what you say by "100s of hours spent" on coding this.

Congratulations and thanks!

Thanks for the Gamma tip, works like a charm. Bright, clear graphics make the game all the more enjoyable :)

Eclipse said:
yes maybe it's a bug, because when you turn down the volume, when the bg music loop ends and start again, the volume returns to 100%
I think that's SDL_mixer's fault. A solution would be to set the music to only play once (0), and use Mix_HookMusicFinished to restart it and reset its volume, as shown here http://www.kekkai.org/roger/sdl/mixer/

thank you for the port, I tried it on my F-100 Fw 3.0.0 but it only goes to a black screen, the mouse pointer appears and then the game frezzes..

slaanesh said:
Couldn't resist giving this a go. Looks really nice - have heard of Abuse but not actually ever played it. Isn't it funny how a nice port gives you that incentive to give new things a try?

I loaded it up on my trusty F100 (w/ DaveC d-pad mod).
It works fairly nicely but I think that the controls aren't geared up for the DaveC d-pad mod, is that right?
The mouse pointer does funny things when I move in diagonals and I think I'm missing some angles when I shoot diagonally. I'll test on another GP2X that has the original controller.

But what an awesome port - I can appreciate what you say by "100s of hours spent" on coding this.

Congratulations and thanks!
Yeah maybe it doesn't interpret 2 simultaneous direction inputs as a diagonal on the F100. Code has to support it. Most ported stuff did automatically as the systems that they were ported from controlled that way. That could be fixed pretty easily and hopefully it will.

I also vote for having an option for F100 style controls on the F200 too. It can be kind of awkward to play with a touchscreen in my opinion although the aiming is very precise that way. An option to map controls to any buttons would be nice, even if it is just a text file that you edit.

Nice port, great work.

shinra said:
thank you for the port, I tried it on my F-100 Fw 3.0.0 but it only goes to a black screen, the mouse pointer appears and then the game frezzes..
I found that the game froze once for me when I was in the menu about to start a game. But it actually came back after... 20 or 30seconds? Perhaps more. Try waiting a bit longer? Mind you I was already at the menu.

this is great.

(i still have the Abuse game CD... it came in a three-pack with Fade to Black and the almighty Crusader: No Remorse - which would be awesooooome to play on Pandora via DOSbox...hmm)

slaanesh said:
I found that the game froze once for me when I was in the menu about to start a game. But it actually came back after... 20 or 30seconds? Perhaps more. Try waiting a bit longer? Mind you I was already at the menu.
I'll try and see if it loads, for me, I can't even reach the menu, it just does not load anything

EDIT: It works now, thank you. One thing, I have a d-pad mod and the game plays well in game, but in the menu the cursor does not take diagonals properly. In game diagonals works but the angle its not too good to hit something maybe adding an option to select the angle of the shoot when diagonals are hit on normal or modded gp2x (i mean select one of the normal 24 directions to be mapped to diagonals that would compensate the lack of mouse on F-100).

Never played this game before, but it is interesting with the funny F-100 controlls. :D

Uh...could it be that this game is at least a "little bit" hard and the Level Design is a "little bit" unfair, not to say "mean" ?

Sorry about the problems some are having with various firmwares and DPAD-modded units. I don't have a DPAD-modded unit to test on, but every port of mine does make an effort to support them. I'll take a look at that and also at adding an option to not use the touchscreen on F200's. Also will look at ways of customizing the controls.

The firmware incompatibilities *might* be the result of this using my port of HW SDL to SDL 1.2.13. I have both an F200 and F100 so I thought I'd given it enough testing. To be honest, I am tempted to just tell people to wait for Open2X for things to stabilize. I don't have an Internet connection right now so I can't download various firmwares and do lots of testing like I want to. Also, I will clean up the source code and release it.

I will also look at the music volume problem, thanks for the bug reports. Glad to hear people are enjoying it :) I am a little over half-way through the game so I am still doing lots of "testing".

Torokun said:
Hm...

I don't know what I am doing wrong here...

The game loads. But touch screen doesn't work.

Anyone experiencing same prob?
Yup. Me too. Got an F200 running 4.1.1. Sux.

p B)

Senor Quack said:
I will also look at the music volume problem, thanks for the bug reports. Glad to hear people are enjoying it :) I am a little over half-way through the game so I am still doing lots of "testing".
(GP2X) Music volume is not saved (game internal sound and Music Volumes are saved), the Game always starts incredible loud (F-100 MKII in my case) so using Headphones is dangerous. :ph34r:

You are half way through the game? cool. Is there a way not to die every 10 Seconds? :D And is the whole game based on shooting during running? Thats multitasking and I'm not a woman. :lol:

fusion_power: IMO it's easier to play on PC, with a mouse. That said, I don't think I ever got very far in it. Very fast-paced, challenging game though. And yes, it's all shooting while running. There's some shooting from ladders too :D

Senor Quack said:
Sorry about the problems some are having with various firmwares and DPAD-modded units. I don't have a DPAD-modded unit to test on, but every port of mine does make an effort to support them. I'll take a look at that and also at adding an option to not use the touchscreen on F200's. Also will look at ways of customizing the controls.

The firmware incompatibilities *might* be the result of this using my port of HW SDL to SDL 1.2.13. I have both an F200 and F100 so I thought I'd given it enough testing. To be honest, I am tempted to just tell people to wait for Open2X for things to stabilize. I don't have an Internet connection right now so I can't download various firmwares and do lots of testing like I want to. Also, I will clean up the source code and release it.

thank you for this port,it's perfect, it just takes some time to load but not a big deal, also even with only 8 directions it's playable, I have a sugestion, the vol middle and the d-pad push could be used to switch between the diagonals, for example, in a modded d-pad (8 directios) when fire in diagonals (right-up for instance) it fires in the direction that is next to right and it's limited to this for the other diagonals, but the center push and vol middle could be used to switch between the other diagonal directions (afecting the four diagonals in this example at the same time), I included this image, hope it helps understand the idea and hope it could be done, thanks again for this port :).

shinra said:
thank you for this port,it's perfect, it just takes some time to load but not a big deal, also even with only 8 directions it's playable, I have a sugestion, the vol middle and the d-pad push could be used to switch between the diagonals, for example, in a modded d-pad (8 directios) when fire in diagonals (right-up for instance) it fires in the direction that is next to right and it's limited to this for the other diagonals, but the center push and vol middle could be used to switch between the other diagonal directions (afecting the four diagonals in this example at the same time), I included this image, hope it helps understand the idea and hope it could be done, thanks again for this port :).
That is a bad idea though. For one many d-pad modded units lack a center push. Another reason is that if it is made possible for F200 users to use the d-pad for control there is no center push either. The center push is also not very robust. It is hard to run and use center push. The last reason is that if you get aggressive during gameplay and push the stick in by accident it will mess up your controls.

Back