About The Prize Of The Pandara!

Monk said:
Dead1nside said:
We got a lower price as early adopters. If you buy in now, you don't get AS good a price - but you probably get a better price than for batch #2, which is supposedly going to be slightly more expensive again.

as with all consoles and gadget early adopters/trend setters all ways get stung (guess not in this case).. but not in a bad way if they enjoy the product they're getting... i would hope as monk says that there will be a point were profit can be made still with a lower price. also as the tech gets older the demand will be less. wonder if its possible to keep the design but upgrade the specs as time goes by eg: the processor...

Last edited by a moderator:
SirAileron said:
I'd say I'm getting more than a fair deal, then, since the Pandora can be at least twice as powerful as a PSP. Normally you'd pay ten times the amount for twice the power, like how you have the choice of a $200 video card, a $500 video card that's slightly more powerful, or one that's considerably more powerful (but still not twice as powerful) for $1,500 and up.

Do you even know the hardware and gadget market at all? It's notorious for being pricey, and I've never seen a gadget this small with a potential performance just shy of a gigahertz for this little money. We're talking 50% more powerful than an iPhone 3G S, for either 50% more than a locked one, or less than (or around) half the price of an unlocked one.

It's a goddamned miracle; And it's made for you to do anything you want to it.

It's because you're buying the name, not the product...

Monk said:
But the $33-/$260 "inflation" has come up long before August. They really should try to be clearer about it - the extra that you are having to fork out is stolen from you levvied by our superb governments :D

The last estimation I had was that for the second batch the price would rise by ten something - I don't recall if it was $10 or £10, but it was ten - and it was an estimate. There is every possibility that changes in the economy (especially exchange rates, and many components are bought from the USA) could shift the price either way :(

Well that is precisely what I don't understand, I appreciate you highlighting the need for European companies to collect sales tax (so this applies to OpenPandora). However as you said, the price could fluctuate - that is what an exchange rate is for, for good or bad. However the price hasn't fluctuated, or rather shouldn't have - it has been artificially kept at the Jan 09 exchange rate price. What's to stop them, for example, keeping it there forever? (Not that I distrust them, I just don't understand this one thing).

Sales tax has always applied to the orders, but this artificial price hiking is a new thing it seems.

I'm sorry to keep harking on about it, but my query hasn't been sufficiently answered yet.

Dead1nside said:
Well that is precisely what I don't understand, I appreciate you highlighting the need for European companies to collect sales tax (so this applies to OpenPandora). However as you said, the price could fluctuate - that is what an exchange rate is for, for good or bad. However the price hasn't fluctuated, or rather shouldn't have - it has been artificially kept at the Jan 09 exchange rate price. What's to stop them, for example, keeping it there forever? (Not that I distrust them, I just don't understand this one thing).

Sales tax has always applied to the orders, but this artificial price hiking is a new thing it seems.

I'm sorry to keep harking on about it, but my query hasn't been sufficiently answered yet.

Not a problem, as long as you bear in mind that I am only a customer so don't have any inside information - just what I've gleaned in business and from the forums.

The price got "fixed" some while back due to a couple of things, IIRC. The first and most obvious is that OpenPandora had already paid for most of the components (presumably not the cases or the assembly though, as those have yet to finalise), so their costs had occurred at a given exchange rate - what they've paid won't change in the future until they pay again for a second batch, thus somewhat stabilising the price. But the other thing that happened was that customers wailed that the price kept changing, and that exchange rates were getting them screwed over when other parts of the financial crisis meant they had their orders cancelled and money returned - only to find that the amount they got returned was short because the exchange rate had shifted.

So the "fixing" of Pandora's price, at least my take on it, is partly because most of the costs are fixed not variable, purely for the first batch because it's been paid for, but also as a reaction to public opinion "en masse" (and there was really rather a lot of it!) that specifically railed AGAINST any price fluctuations.

As far as one could see, OpenPandora had bent over backwards - hell, they'd bent over forwards! - to try and ensure none of US got screwed, offering to take the hit themselves, but still there was complaint after complaint and indeed threats of prosectuion (based on extremely fanciful interpretations of events and laws) such that I don't think they could have done anything BUT fix the price at a given level :(

Monk said:
Not a problem, as long as you bear in mind that I am only a customer so don't have any inside information - just what I've gleaned in business and from the forums.

(snip)

So the "fixing" of Pandora's price, at least my take on it, is partly because most of the costs are fixed not variable, purely for the first batch because it's been paid for, but also as a reaction to public opinion "en masse" (and there was really rather a lot of it!) that specifically railed AGAINST any price fluctuations.

As far as one could see, OpenPandora had bent over backwards - hell, they'd bent over forwards! - to try and ensure none of US got screwed, offering to take the hit themselves, but still there was complaint after complaint and indeed threats of prosectuion (based on extremely fanciful interpretations of events and laws) such that I don't think they could have done anything BUT fix the price at a given level :(

Thank-you for the further explanation. I'm sure it appears as if I'm just moaning about the price, but I'm very concious that I don't want to upset the developers or the initial adopters who've had to endure a lot more waiting and the like than I have.

I guess you're right in that they must have paid for most of their materials and manufacturing at one particular point, and I suppose it makes sense to keep the current exchange rate at that same level: as when they did all the purchasing. I wander if the Euro price too is now fixed?

I'll leave it there and hope that I wasn't too late to preorder.

Thanks again for answering all my questions on this topic.

No worries - and no problem. I have had my own questions about the project too, and have been pleased to get answers from the community. When it works, that's one of the best things about a community or forum - we can help each other out!

I'm pretty sure that at least one OpenPandora member has stated, at least once, that they've already paid for everything but since I don't have links to hand I couldn't say that this included things like the case and assembly since they hadn't "happened" at that stage (although they don't have credit so they have been paying before taking delivery, so they MIGHT even have paid for those too).

Ok so here's how it is.

I wouldn't touch a PS3 or a PSP, yet I paid £200 for a Pandora and would have quite happily paid £300 for one (though not sure if I'd have been willing to wait 12 months having paid £300, but that's another story...)

So as long as there's enough people like me around, there's a market for the Pandora, at the price they are currently asking. When that demand dries up, the market (at that price point) will have saturated. At that point either OP have enough in hand to commit to high volumes and drive the price down (thus potentially enticing a new market) or they call it a day.

Either way, I can't wait to finally get my hands on a Pandy. And I wouldn't trade it for 4 PSP Gos!

The price situation is quite complex, but it does involve us having already paid for the parts at a much worse exchange rate.

Essentially the pound price is locked to an older $/£ exchange rate.

craigix said:
The price situation is quite complex, but it does involve us having already paid for the parts at a much worse exchange rate.

Essentially the pound price is locked to an older $/£ exchange rate.

Thank you for your words of clarification, is this also true for the $/€ exchange rate?

Pleng said:
Either way, I can't wait to finally get my hands on a Pandy. And I wouldn't trade it for 4 PSP Gos!
i would. if you could sell the other 3, then buy a pandora.

if you can't sell them, how is four psp gos superior to one?

Xian Long said:
Pleng said:

Why would you keep one? I'd sell all four and spend the money on a Pandora and as many curly fries as I could buy with the money left over.

Username said:
Xian Long said:
Pleng said:

Why would you keep one? I'd sell all four and spend the money on a Pandora and as many curly fries as I could buy with the money left over.

Mmm, curly fries! :D

So, if you assume that you can make $1000 on the sale of 4 psp go's and that you buy one pandora with them, costing you roughly $350, you would be able to buy approximately 260 orders of curley fries at $2.50 per order. Taking into account the gym membership required for such an amount of curly fries, you would still be able to order 236 orders, and pay for two months at the gym.

So...

Pandora:
~$350
System76 Ratel with 3 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 512MB Radeon 4350, 0.5 TB HDD:
~$650
Paying for shipping and handling on the Ratel:
~$30
Not owning a PSP Go: Priceless

Confirmed: This picture.
curlyfries.png

Uhmm.... since this topic is about prices...

I haven't found anywhere in this topic, and it seems to be a pretty obvious question, but...
...I don't know the costs for ordering an extra battery and the TV-out cable...
Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance

From the email:
Pandora $330
Accessories:
TV OUT $19.99
CASE $19.99
BATTERY $28.99
Power Adaptor $7.99
Stylus $7.00
Dev Fund $20

Air Mail shipping $19