Aalto Talk with Linus Torvalds

lol when you said 'give the finger' i thought it was metaphorical :)

Our beloved hero, He's getting to be quite the pantomime dame, at least he didn't tell anyone to kill themselves this time, wonder what he would think of the Pandora?.

That was his advice for the openSUSE(?) developers who where responsible for requesting the root password to setup wifi or printers.
That was a bit overkill on their part (ok, completely overkill) but that was definitely the wrong thing for him to say. Good job he's not in politics ;)

He uses hyperbole quite a bit to get his point across. Political correctness be damned when there's a point to be made :p . At least this way more people watch the important bits too :)

He uses hyperbole quite a bit to get his point across. Political correctness be damned when there's a point to be made :p . At least this way more people watch the important bits too :)
"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." :D

I think I found a signature...

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." :D

I think I found a signature...

Linus makes angry and extremely lengthy tirades which he peppers with comments about how stupid/incompetent/unworthy of breeding/living people are.. And the thing is, it's really hard for me to separate that kind of obviously emotional reaction from "being offended." Technical inadequacy (in his eyes) really seems to offend him. Of course the way he's using it is probably more about wanting to hurt people's feelings by attacking them.

Anyway I probably don't have to say that I've never agreed with the mindset that people who feel bad about anything deserve it...

@Exophase

aren't you exaggerating a little?

keeping your mouth shut and beeing all political is just boring. I mean common how many of you cursed Microsoft or Apple? I sure did it a lot xD

I don't see him beeing a hatefull person who wants to offend people or thinks all the others are way inferior compared to him.

It was just a f**k you... so what? xD

@Exophase

aren't you exaggerating a little?

keeping your mouth shut and beeing all political is just boring. I mean common how many of you cursed Microsoft or Apple? I sure did it a lot xD

I don't see him beeing a hatefull person who wants to offend people or thinks all the others are way inferior compared to him.

It was just a f**k you... so what? xD

You haven't read much from him have you? You may say "fuck Apple" but you probably don't say "just kill yourself" to people..

And what do you mean he doesn't want to offend people? DaDaDaniel's quote of him directly indicates that he DOES want to offend people!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Exophase: The quote is from this talk, and he also says that he's quite surprised that people take everything he says so seriously, and that he uses strong words to make sure the message comes across. It got a really good reaction from the audience as well. The guy from NVIDIA in the audience didn't take the "fuck you" too personally either. The "kill yourself" was obviously not meant literally.

I don't agree with you, that he's out to hurt people and see it the way B-ZaR sees it. He's often strong-worded, but not in a nasty way.

^ So, "fuck you", "kill yourself", and suchlike, aren't nasty wording, now? Did I wander into Bizarro World? Certainly don't want to live here!

It's not just about words, but how they are meant. He certainly is often far from being polite and quite rude. But nasty? No.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I've heard that same justification used for all sorts of blatantly nasty wording countless times, in my lifetime.

is it legitimate? that depends on everybodys own opinion. For me sometimes strong language is essential. There is no point in using proper language when something is fucked up. If you disagree fine. I just don't get the impression that he intends to offend people. He clearly does and he doesnt care. Thats all

You haven't read much from him have you? You may say "fuck Apple" but you probably don't say "just kill yourself" to people..
nope, not really interested ; )

Back