A Way To Make It More Effeicent?

idjit626

Well because we will have access to all of the info related to Pandora, maybe when you make a emulator you could have the emulator acting as the OS for the unit. That way the real Pandora OS would not be useing resources in the backround.

It would take TONS more coding but it might work. :pandora1:

The only resource linux would be eating is RAM (and not much), of which most emulators don't need a lot. A small os written for the emulator would probably eat almost as much ram. Unloading some unneeded kernel modules might do that trick.

You`ll be hard pushed to email of surf the net via say an N64 emulator playing F-Zero X for instance. :huh:

Though you may be able to achieve that via an Amiga emulator or maybe even a Spectrum emulator.

Trooper

i can easily get debian down to using 40mb of ram or less even running Xorg .... not firefox of course cause then it shoots through the roof... deb-ice is a good shortcut to a lightweight debian install not as easy as ubuntu but not as hard as arch or slackware either

Viking said:
Well because we will have access to all of the info related to Pandora, maybe when you make a emulator you could have the emulator acting as the OS for the unit. That way the real Pandora OS would not be useing resources in the backround.

It would take TONS more coding but it might work. :pandora1:
There are already emulators which act as an OS (as there was no Linux kernel available when they were written), so the coding is already done. However, the difference in resources is minimal, and people would prefer being able to drop back to a launcher program, run standard linux apps, and multitask etc. (Plus you would lose 3D support plus some other drivers which are closed source).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also pretty sure, most emu coders would prefer to not to have to write their own little kernel. The kernel doesn't do a lot and therefore doesn't take up a ton of resources, like people think.

On the other hand it is a rather complex piece of code, so making something similar would take a lot of time and provide very little in benefits, if that. Remember the linux kernel has been optimized for ages, by plenty of people who are very knowledgeable in that area. Chances are a good game developer is not going to be a good Kernel developer.

cb88 said:
i can easily get debian down to using 40mb of ram or less even running Xorg .... not firefox of course cause then it shoots through the roof... deb-ice is a good shortcut to a lightweight debian install not as easy as ubuntu but not as hard as arch or slackware either
DSL uses about 9mb ram with xvesa.

Squidge said:
Megamixman said:
The kernel doesn't do a lot
I wouldn't post that to a kernel development mailing list if I were you ;)

If the developers have done their job, then the kernel won't do a lot. It should account for a very small fraction of a percentage of system resources. Go in, do it's thing, get out, let the app continue running. A kernel that doesn't do a lot is an efficient, well designed kernel.
</BS>

well that may be true but DSL is way out of date.... still using a 2.4 kernel
comparativly 40mb is way less than the ram used by ubuntu... well over a hundred mb

Back