Release A quick question

Killerx20

Still Fresh
Yeah I am just wondering if it will be possible to put Windows XP on this beast, especially if one where to use a slipstreamed XP to make it faster. This would really be a "ultra mobile pc" if you could. Thanks in advance.

Killerx20 said:
Yeah I am just wondering if it will be possible to put Windows XP on this beast, especially if one where to use a slipstreamed XP to make it faster. This would really be a "ultra mobile pc" if you could. Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, but unfortunately that isn't possible.
But linux offers all you need for it to be an UMPC(and is much faster, too) :)

Oh well.. I better start to get to know lunix now!
Wanted XP cause then it would be possible to play those PC games on it

There are many ports to come, and many emulators, too. Just look around on this board and on gp32x.de :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree :eek:

There is no reason provided drivers can be found that win XP could run off the device.

I have done this in the past with an EEE PC which i kept the base os on the Flash Drive and then ran XP off a USB stick.

Performance would an issue in the sense XP does neet 256-512mb just to kick it into life - true it will work off anything above 64mb - but will need some fine tuning. There are lots of blogs out there which explain xp off USB - the theory should hold true for doing this off the SD card, but make sure its fast some SDHC run like a preverbial dog

Am tempted to try with a license off my MSDN account - albeit i think win xp tablet edition is more of a safer bet

As I have pre-ordered - will probably attempt this in some form within first few weeks and post something on it. Vista dream on, but XP is not completely out of the question :twisted:

You forget that the Eee has an Intel Atom x86 processor, while the Pandora has an ARM. XP is completely out of the question. Windows CE however may be ported.

+1 to that. Windows XP runs on Intel X86. Pandora has an ARM CPU. No XP program can ever run on it, just like no XP program can ever run on any phone, for example (most of them have ARM CPUs too).

While you are correct on x86 - you have overlooked that there is an embedded Windows XP OS and embedded Windows CE 6.0 which is designed to run on lots of smaller spec chips - it used in alot of kiosk type terminals - and it does come with an ARM flavour to boot

I know of images out there for Embedded Windows CE 6.0 already for the ARM - Cortex A8 chipset

http://www.bsquare.com/about/story.asp?PressID=480

There must be others out there for earlier versions of chipset (embedded XP i mean)

I'll check with MSDN and other sources then get back - it definately does not have to be an x86 for the cutdown versions to work

Sorry - forgot to add it all depends on what you want the pandora to do - if you want it to look like a windows OS - then get a flavour/shell in linux which mimics a windows OS, or take a risk an try and get a embedded windows ce/xp os which is arm compliant then get a cutdown office application (will be expensive as windows)

If you want it to work as well as it can then stick to Linux, the sofware is there

XP Embedded is x86 only. All programs / games made for Windows are compiled for x86. Windows CE has been compiled for ARM, but licensing the OS for the Pandora is both prohibitively expensive and contrary to the spirit of the Pandora project. Even if CE were available, it would not be compatible with Windows desktop applications / games.

The Pandora cannot run Windows in any useful capacity.

Hah Windows CE, unfortunate that I wouldn't have any use of CE on the Pandora, it mostly defeats the purpose of wanting to play PC games. To me, I would only have CE on there to show it off lol

I dont know if I would want windows on a Pandora anyway, I've had enough with getting fatal errors on PC's without that moving onto hand-helds.
If Windows didnt dominate the PC market so much I think everyone would be happier ^_^

SyruM said:
I dont know if I would want windows on a Pandora anyway, I've had enough with getting fatal errors on PC's without that moving onto hand-helds.
If Windows didnt dominate the PC market so much I think everyone would be happier ^_^
Just let the thread die, or lock it :)

Back