A New Gp32 Version To Celebrate Its 10Th Anniversary ?

Would you buy a new GP32 version ?

• Total voters

jmetal88 said:
EDIT 2: Yup, this should do nicely: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220567609830
Now I'll start experimenting once I have some free time.
I assume you bought this stick of RAM?

Well let me know when/if you feel comfortable.
I would actually send you one of my good GP32s as I'm thinking that if it's going to get a 32MB mod - it may as well be to a good one.
Would you feel comfortable with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
jmetal88 said:
EDIT 2: Yup, this should do nicely: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=220567609830
Now I'll start experimenting once I have some free time.
I assume you bought this stick of RAM?

Well let me know when/if you feel comfortable.
I would actually send you one of my good GP32s as I'm thinking that if it's going to get a 32MB mod - it may as well be to a good one.
Would you feel comfortable with that?

Yeah, that's me that bought it. :p

My plan is to try doing it with my spare, and if that goes well, then I'll try it with my main unit. If I can do both of mine without problems, chances are pretty good I'd be able to do yours as well. :)

jmetal88 said:
My plan is to try doing it with my spare, and if that goes well, then I'll try it with my main unit. If I can do both of mine without problems, chances are pretty good I'd be able to do yours as well. :)

Let me know how you go because I'm peachy keen on a 32MB GP32.

slaanesh said:
jmetal88 said:

By the way, BEFORE you start modding make sure you flash your BIOS with the 32MB/64MB firmware first!
You can't do it after the mod.
The new required BIOS auto detects the amount of RAM you have.

slaanesh said:
slaanesh said:
jmetal88 said:

By the way, BEFORE you start modding make sure you flash your BIOS with the 32MB/64MB firmware first!
You can't do it after the mod.
The new required BIOS auto detects the amount of RAM you have.

Yup, I had that figured out. Thanks for the link though, I was just planning on using the firmware from the page with the mod instructions, but that looks like a better option.

Got the stick of RAM in today! I guess I'll be seeing how easily I can desolder one of these chips this evening.

EDIT: Dang, I can't get them desoldered. :( I found what might be a compatible chip on Digikey that I could order, but I'd want to make sure I could cleanly remove one of the chips on the stick of RAM first. I'll have to look into some additional tools, I think.

solder wick and liquid flux. Put some flux down get some solder on the iron and apply to the opposite side of the wick. If you cant get it off with that try a heat gun and tweezers

I would like a new one with:

Faster main dual core CPU.

An I/O CPU/DSP.

A bank of parallel CPU's (lower end CPU's are fine), I want killer AI, in apps.

2D hardware mapped (for parallax displays, and scrolling, sprites - humour me I'm old skool).

3D hardware.

Lots more Ram (so all the app is loaded and running fast, if there are any files then set up a temp RAM disk - yes I am old skool, and I want slick apps).

Possibly some NAND memory.

SDHC slot.

A decent sound chip so there is no more crackling issues, and MIDI could be better supported too.

USB1/2 for external devices.

X & Y buttons + add another button (Z), to piss off the rest, (no more painting X & Y buttons on mine).

EDIT: Now I come to think of it move select next to start, and under ABZXY (Z- in the middle to form a "X"), put a phone type keypad for alphanumeric entry, just like on a phone - this will of course upset the dimensions a little (but all those extra function buttons in game).

Native support for things like chatboard etc, that devs have to code in.

A nice compact Linux kernal for the OS.

Correctly wired speakers.

Bigger back boobs (just kidding!).

Back