A Joystick Concern

Lanfear

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok so here's my speech.. I was very hesistant when i found out the gp2x had a joystick for one reason : wear and tear..
On both my n64 and my gamecube the joysticks eventually wear out to the point of almost being unusable... and i would hate for that too happen to my gp2x.. so is there a chance this will happen.. and is there a way to fix it?

• Sure, it will eventually break down from constant wear.
• You could always replace the joystick unit itself; its just a small 'box' that's soldered onto the main board.

How difficult would that be? I'm not exactly the most hands-on guy but im not afraid to do a little modding

Wow, joystick wear on a digital joystick? Hell, i have an old microswitch joystick on my nes that still works pretty good after i used some sandpaper to clean off the contacts. I guess i just am not as hard on my controlers as others... (though i'm still trying to repair those bloody atari joysticks that i have a half dozen of).

But anyway, i can assume youd expect wear and tear damage from any thing you... well... don't seal away from everything, but don't let that stop you from buying a system, hell, if you broke it to the point where you can't fix it (by normal use), you got your use out of it!

I cant say I've ever used a joystick to the point where it wont work due to wear or tear. It all really depends on how you treat your system.

besides, as TelcoLou points out it's easy to replace. Should only take around 10 min tops.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 19 2005 at 10:59 PM said:
I cant say I've ever used a joystick to the point where it wont work due to wear or tear. It all really depends on how you treat your system.

besides, as TelcoLou points out it's easy to replace. Should only take around 10 min tops.

I don't think replacement will be necessary, unlike N64 pads and PSX pads, the GP2X stick is made of a hard (maybe brass) stick with a case surrounded by equally sturdy (maybe steel) material.

I really doubt your being able to thoroughly thrash the stick.

And it is digital, so don't worry about the N64 wandering to your doom problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back