GP32 A faster Handy...?

bzfish

Still Fresh
I have so far installed the dev environment (GCC 3.02 ARM cross compiler on Windows) got the code to compile and everything boots up so far, however the Handy emulator runs a tad too slow.

So my question is if anyone can point me to some ARM9/GP32 documentation that would help me optimize it. I have already rewritten the screen scaler program (gpmain.cpp) to get things done in less cycles but the main speed bump seems to be in Handy itself.

Anyone already tried on Handy?

I would recommend that you get a documentation about the ARM9 processor and try to see if you cant replace some C code into pure assembly. And of course try to make the code use less cycle (each machine instruction will take a certain amount of CPU cycle, so some of them are more costly than other). It can be a long painfull process, so be ready to spend some long night ;-).

Well, I already got a MP3 player utility running without skipping on Motorola M68040 25 Mhz hardware (NeXT, anyone remembers? Ah these were the days ;)) back in the ol' days by doing it completely in (m68k) assembly, so I think I can handle the assembly part. :)

But this still this leaves the question where the best documentation for the GP32 ARM9 processor can be found, maybe a list of instructions with their cycle count anywhere?

Back