A Couple Of Questions

Nathaniel607

Still Fresh
Well, im a bit of a overall PC noob and OpenPandora noob so ive got a couple of questions...

1. You can run OpenPandora if you use windows, right?

2. Can i run linux programs on OpenPandora just by downloading them on Windows XP then putting them on the openpandora.

3. Can OpenPandora run DosBox? (the Linux version)

4. Or does someone have to make a custom code to run any program on OpenPandora?

5. If so, is someone making a DOSbox code?

6. Also a Tyrian code, that would be great.

7. Does OpenPandora work with Podcasts or anything like that?

Thanks.

--=NAT=-- said:
2. Can i run linux programs on OpenPandora just by downloading them on Windows XP then putting them on the openpandora.
3. Can OpenPandora run DosBox? (the Linux version)
4. Or does someone have to make a custom code to run any program on OpenPandora?
5. If so, is someone making a DOSbox code?
6. Also a Tyrian code, that would be great.
1. OpenPandora is a console. It's not software, so you can't run OpenPandora on windows. You can however develop Pandora applications using Windows.
2. Yes, if they are compatible. (You can't put Linux software designed for an Intel system on it for example)
3. Yes
4. It would be better if it was designed and built for the console.
5. Yes
6. What is tyrian?
7. It can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes. Pandora is a standalone piece of hardware. Your desktop OS does not really matter.

2. Not really. Software needs to be ported to the Pandora platform.

3. There is a port of DOSBox in the works.

4. See 2

5. See 3. Also see the DOSBox portion of the FAQ.

6. Although Tyrian was made free by Epic Megagames, the original source was never released. Perhaps somebody will port OpenTyrian, an open source clone. There is a version for the GP2X, so it's pretty likely.

7. Yes. Podcasts are just regular audio files linked to in an RSS feed. Whether or not Pandora has a podcatcher, it will definitely have an RSS reader and a media player. You just might have to download teh episodes manually.

Hi! I've got a question of my own so instead of creating a new toppic I decided to ask them here - I hope it's ok.

I've been watching this project from some time now and I'm in total awe - I hope to buy a pandora asap. From what I've gathered from the main open-pandora site the machine will be available in "UK, USA, Canada, Germany and Turkey." So is this the finall word? Or is shipping to Poland, or for that matter other countries of the EU (besides UK and Germany), an option?

nekro_pl said:
the machine will be available in "UK, USA, Canada, Germany and Turkey." So is this the finall word? Or is shipping to Poland, or for that matter other countries of the EU (besides UK and Germany), an option?
Those are the only countries with confirmed resellers, but you'll still be able to get a Pandora. Craig will ship to just about anywhere.

nekro_pl said:
Or is shipping to Poland, or for that matter other countries of the EU (besides UK and Germany), an option?

I live in France and my wife bought me the gp32x from Craig's site in the UK. So I guess you will be able to buy from Craig's site :)

Thanks everyone, for answering my questions so quick, and for squidge Tyrian is a vertical shooter, its been ported to PSP so i was wondering. Anyway, cause i dont want to make another post, ive got a couple more questions...

1. I know that OpenPandora uses memory sticks, but is it compatible with those huge 32 gig ones?

2. What are the main differences between the OpenPandora and the GP2X? just power?

3. Can most of the things ported to GP2X almost certainly work on the OpenPandora?

--=NAT=-- said:
2. What are the main differences between the OpenPandora and the GP2X? just power?
I don't mean to sound rude, but have you actually looked at both devices? There are loads of differences that are instantly noticable just by looking at them.

No need to call it "OpenPandora" - just Pandora is fine. Openpandora is just the Pandora website's URL, "open" just signifies" its open source nature.

1) You mean SDHC - yes. (NOTE: PSP's MS Pro Duos are not SD cards, and won't work on Pandora)
2) Read the FAQ, read the Wiki, check the specs. CLICK HERE for links
3) There is nothing GP2X can do that Pandora can't.

--=NAT=-- said:
Thanks everyone, for answering my questions so quick, and for squidge Tyrian is a vertical shooter, its been ported to PSP so i was wondering. Anyway, cause i dont want to make another post, ive got a couple more questions...

1. I know that OpenPandora uses memory sticks, but is it compatible with those huge 32 gig ones?
You mean SDHC-compliant SD cards? Yes.

Massively more powerful CPU, keyboard, 4 times the screen resolution, a gazillion times the battery life, actual pre-release quality control.

It would have been easier had you asked what the two have in common. Well, besides Craigix, that is.

3. Can most of the things ported to GP2X almost certainly work on the OpenPandora?

The code gurus say so.

And it's the "Pandora". The website is called Openpandora.

Pandora over GP2X:

* Analogue sticks
* Keyboard
* WiFi
* Power (i.e. higher CPU speed and RAM)
* Higher-res screen
* Longer battery life
* Microphone
* better USB connectivity
* 2 x SD slots
* better support (i.e. not GPH)
* probably loads more...

--=NAT=-- said:

As has been pointed out, Pandora is a device - not a piece of software - but if you are asking if you can load games an software onto your Pandora if you use Windows - the answer is yes.

I certainly hope so. It should.

Take power from 2xAA batteries

It probably can. It charges via USB, right? All you need to do is buy one of those power-to-go cell phone chargers based on AA batteries designed for a USB charging phone, and then you're good to go.

chad78 said:
--=NAT=-- said:

As has been pointed out, Pandora is a device - not a piece of software - but if you are asking if you can load games an software onto your Pandora if you use Windows - the answer is yes.

I could be wrong because it's so ambigious, but I read his question to mean:

"If I am capable enough to use a Windows computer, will I be able to handle the Pandora?"

Edit: although your second response is more likely.

parag0n said:
Prophet said:
3) There is nothing GP2X can do that Pandora can't.
Take power from 2xAA batteries :p

Actually, if the Pandora's charging circuitry is standardized enough, it could take power from one of those 2xAA emergency cell phone chargers. I use a 4xAA version to emergency-charge my Nokia N800.

Thanks for all the info and thanks prophet for the faq, also, about question 2, i wasnt really talking about the keyboard\ analog sticks ect. It was more about the internel workings of the machine, but people have ansewed about both internel and external so it dosent really matter - I should have made it more clear. The only thing that really worries me about the pandora isint actually anything at all to do with the machine but with the
£199 ($399) price tag on the 32gig SD cards... I may have to stick to 8gigs until the price goes down.
So thats it, really, thanks everyone.

--=NAT=-- said:
£199 ($399) price tag on the 32gig SD cards... I may have to stick to 8gigs until the price goes down.
More like $345, as the GBP price includes VAT.

Still, the 32GB cards are about as expensive as (if not more expensive than) a Pandora. I'm definitely going for something less expensive. (Who really NEEDS 32GB as opposed to 2x16?)

Back