A bit of honesty please!

These are videos I've downloaded from youtube. The codec is h264 which, while heavy, is not impossible for the Pandora at 480p resolutions, especially overclocked. I clock at 1.0Ghz and the flash player still visibly struggles with 360p videos.

The format is not the problem, but the player written in flash and embedded into html, that is a plugin in your browser, playing the video. There you have your bottleneck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same format, FLV, and the Pandora has no problem playing them in other apps, it's just as you say, the Flash player is terribly inefficient. I don't think this is any real fault of TI or Youtube, it's all down to problems with ActionScript. If you want to harp on Adobe a bit, here's a good read: http://whitequark.or...dobe-stupidity/

Hurgghhh...

I really don't like this modern philosophy of performing zero optimization in your bytecode compiler with the mentality of "just let the JIT do it later." Yes, there are some optimizations that only the backend is going to know, there may even be some optimizations that you could do but don't want to do w/o backend feedback.. but what is the point in avoiding basic things like constant folding and dead code elimination?

IMO you should avoid pushing anything onto the JIT whenever you can, because then the work gets duplicated all over the place. And the bytecode you have to package in files and load into memory gets a lot bigger. And the JIT itself gets a lot slower, making stuff like "hot spot" compilation look desirable.. which puts you back into spending some of your runtime in an interpreter, and said interpreter works on the slow massively unoptimized code..

The whole thing discourages people from using generic programming (if the language even has it) which will often generate code that relies on constant folding and dead code elimination/static branch folding a lot more than human written code.. all the unfolded stuff can start growing exponentially in size..

At least javac does constant folding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back