4 meg 12-chip parity ram and its availability

Tobriand

Website
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone's got any that comes from, say, an old Dell 486, 48-pin, parity, 12 chips (since nothing else seemed to get recognised) and 4mb (since it ONLY seems to recognise the first 12 chips, and 8 mb ones only come with 24 chips) that they're throwing out, give me a message. I doubt it though...

I've just tested ~50 ram chips to stick in my current pet project (486 DX 66) and only 1 worked, and the 12-chipness and 4-megness is what it had in common with the 2 chips already there...

i've got two 16mb RAM modules in my old 486 thats currently in our shed... not sure if they're any good, if i remember rightly they started messing up before i stopped using it... but you can have them if you want, provided you live in the UK... i'm not posting them overseas unless your gonna pay? :p

nah, I'm, UK, although I suspect they wouldn't work; no 8 mb ones did (except the one with 24 chips on it that read the first 12 as a 4-meg). I suspect 16meg chips is well into the range of EDO ram though. Annoying as that be's.

On the other hand, if they *aren't* EDO, then hey - its worth a try :)

if you can drive and live close enough to Sheffield to bother to drive, you can have my old 486 and scrap it for parts... the mobo's ok... so's the 325mb HD... 486 DX2 50mhz CPU, as i said not sure if the RAM's working...

I gave up on it when the CD drive packed in, cant really arse around finding a new soundcard and CD drive for it... back in the day when your CD drive connected to your sound card :D lovely

anyways, you could try that approach and use the mobo I've got instead, it'll support the DX 66mhz I believe

Thanks for the offer, but lack of driving skills combined with being a fair way from Sheffield kind of puts that one out for now. Although one I *can* drive (in the exceedingly distant future) I might give you a msg and see if you've still got the thing... Still, not a bad idea; might check around various friends and see if anyone has a working 486 board they want rid of... Who knows - someone might do :)

Back