4 General Questions As Of 2013 Caanoo

Squiike

Still Fresh
Hi!
I have just entered the scene, and there are a few questions i cannot find answers to in these forums. My questions are:

* What is considered safe to clock the caanoo to? 700?

* I have loaded PCSX ReARMed to my caanoo. I can only see it in "Explorer" (Not in Games folder). When i try to change options like clock speed, music on/off, nothing changes. The games run OK, but some i'd rather play without sound to increase speed and battery life, others i would like to clock up to 700 if that is safe!
 What is wrong?

* What is the best GBA, NEO GEO and snes emulator?

* I have seen in the Wiz forum that there is possible to use a 64GB card. Is the same possible on Caanoo? please post link or pictures. If not, what 32 gb card is considered good?

Thank you!

If you want a consistence menu (icons + titles), download the http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59540-caanoo-emu-pack-fact-sheets/page-2#entry964451]emu pack[/url]. It already contains the required directory structure and comes with fact sheets about the emulators. The .ini files make the applications visible in the menu, just rename them if you don't want to see specific menu entries.

gpSP and PCSX ReARMed has been updated since the last update of the emu pack...

gpSP : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/63425-gpsp-report

PCSX ReARMed : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/63667-pcsx-rearmed-r17/page-2#entry968378

Just replace the emulators in the game directory (keep the ROMs, BIOS and icon/title).

For GBA use gpSP and for SNES PocketSNES (fastest).

For Neo Geo, I would say GnGeo is the best option. Here's a list of working games...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apq0W6rm63sydGdrdXU1aHpkdHVPOHg4T1JVSEFPRHc

If you need help, I can provide a .dat file for the working ROMs.

EDIT: Regarding 64GB SDXC cards. Both my Wiz and Caanoo don't read them, I use 32GB SDHC SanDisk cards. I'm wondering on which models (?) 64GB cards work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squiike said:
Hi!
I have just entered the scene, and there are a few questions i cannot find answers to in these forums. My questions are:

* What is considered safe to clock the caanoo to? 700?

* I have loaded PCSX ReARMed to my caanoo. I can only see it in "Explorer" (Not in Games folder). When i try to change options like clock speed, music on/off, nothing changes. The games run OK, but some i'd rather play without sound to increase speed and battery life, others i would like to clock up to 700 if that is safe!
 What is wrong?

* What is the best GBA, NEO GEO and snes emulator?

* I have seen in the Wiz forum that there is possible to use a 64GB card. Is the same possible on Caanoo? please post link or pictures. If not, what 32 gb card is considered good?

Thank you!
The clock speed of the Caanoo varies from one Caanoo to another. I've never heard of any Caanoo crashing below 700 MHz, mine is stable up to 750 and some run fine at 800 MHz.
You can only choose between two SNES emulators and I'd say PocketSNES is the better choice as well, but the emulator itself uses just some kB, so it's not a bad idea to have both of them on your sd card (Dr. PocketSNES and SNES9x4c).
There is just one emulator for GBA and Neo Geo (though mame supports some Neo Geo games too), so there's no big choice to pick the right one. The latest versions are best.
I've never heard someone was able to use a 64GB card on the Caanoo. The speed of a 32GB card is less important than reliability, so even a cheap one (like my Transcend card) should be good enough.

Squiike said:
Do the Class 1-10 matter?

The Class rating is for write speed. This will mainly affect you when sending lots of large files over to the card. (Use a card reader, it's faster than transfers through the caanoo itself)

I did notice the main menu went a lot faster when I updated to a 32GB Class 10 card, maybe it was pausing to write to the card, or maybe it was just a better made card in general.

Either way, if the price is similar just get the highest class rating available. I'd also suggest that if price is similar, to get a microSD card with a full-sized adaptor. The reason is that if the caanoo manages to eject the card across the room and crack it open on the floor, all you've lost is a cheap adaptor and not damage to the card itself. The caanoo has a pretty stong eject mechanism, and you'll be taking it out a lot to transfer your files faster, so eventually you're going to slip and shoot it across the room.

The 64GB cards are most likely going to be XDHC, which means it's using a new filesystem by default. I'm wondering if the people that got it to work had just reformatted to FAT32?

Back