360 On The Fritz

Ganepark32

Suit Up!
Website
Visit site
So my one year warranty that comes with my 360 ended in December. I got mine for xmas in 2006 and just over a year later, with the warranty having run out, its now decided to stop working. It now won't load discs at all. I'm not sure whether its a problem with the lens or a problem with the hardware. I haven't had the red ring of death yet but I'm sure its coming. Is there anyway I could sort the problem (if it is the lens) myself without opening it? or do I have to send it to Microsoft to fix it?

I always read about people having trouble with their 360s and I knew it would happen to me eventually and now it has. And it always seems to happen just after the one year warranty that comes with the console. It's a bloody disgrace that Microsoft are letting these things out on the market with so many problems. There is something called quality control but it seems from the number of failures people are getting that they don't use it. Well, if I do have to send it away to Microsoft, rest assured they'll be footing the entire bill because I'm not having something that I bought break just after the warranty has ended.

Well I managed to get my 360 to start reading the discs. It took me half an hour and several tries of every 360 game I had but it eventually read Guitar Hero 2. Still having problems though as it can take awhile for the games to load and sometimes I'm having to open and close the disc drive several times before it's reading the disc. Does seem to be on its way out. Kinda depressing seeing as its not long out of its warranty. Will be emailing Microsoft anyway to see about them repairing the thing or replacing it with a working on. Had problems with it since day one. Plugged it in on the first day I got it and when trying to play it for the first time, I got the red ring of death. Luckily it worked after that and has been until now.

Mine decided to pack up on boxing day... My warranty had also just run out by about a few weeks... one quick (30 mins!) call to Microsoft Helpline though (0800 587 1102) and they e-mailed me a UPS label so I could send it back to them...

All I had to do was package it up in a box securely and ring the UPS collection depot and they collected it same day, 3 weeks later my xbox was returned to me in full working order with a letter saying that they were sorry for the problem (faulty motherboard according to the checklist provided) and as consolation please would I accept a free month of xbox live.

They will try to get you to do all sorts of tests on your console whilst on the phone to them such as removing the hard drive and trying it again but I just told them it still wasnt working properly so they relented and e-mailed me the UPS label.

Having owned nearly every console from the master sytem onwards I have never had one break on me until owning the 360 and quite frankly wasnt prepared to be fobbed off with someone telling me on the phone that it could be the hard drive affecting it...

Microsoft know they have a problem with early units and to their credit they have extended the warranty and offered to repair faulty ones, give them a ring and tell them your problem but in all honesty I would just tell them that it has 3 red lights and get them to issue you a UPS label, whatever the fault they will find it and sort it for you free of charge.

The helpline number is free as well as long as your in the UK.

It's actually working absolutely fine now. Which is weird because I couldn't load up games on it at all for a few days. I don't know what this means about it in the long term, but hopefully it'll hang in there. The only consoles I've ever had problems with are both of Microsoft's consoles. My original Xbox just stopped working about 2 and a half years after getting it and my 360 is being weird. We'll see whether there are anymore problems with it. Hopefully there won't be.

Dreamcasts seem to have problems as they get older, like resetting whenever they feel like, stuff like that.
Just saying is all. Can't wait for my Xbox to break!

My 360's disk tray only opens 1/3rd of the time through the button, and 0/3rds of the time when attempting to open it from the desktop-thing. Also, it regularly freezes. Sign of things to come, methinks.

Back