32x Roms For Drmdx.....

And it probably never will. It just doesn't seem worth it to me (plus it's a fairly demanding platform to emulate).

Sega CD has been thrown around by Reesy in the past, so I guess that one would be a maybe in the future (but it's not supported right now).

Sega CD emulation is feasible-- lowering the clockrates of the 2 68000s involved may help a good bit. I imagine the MCD 68000 does not necessarily NEED to run at 12 MHz-- 50% faster than the clock of the Genesis/MD's-- to handle BIOS functionality. That'd put a big dent in the demand.

The 32x is pretty much guaranteed never to work properly. It has 2 21 MHz SH-2 processors, plus extra video and audio hardware. That's just far too much for the GP2X to likely handle. Maybe if, in some games, the Slave SH-2 isn't doing work but the Master is, you could turn off one of them. Or halt the emulation of the MD/Genesis' 68000 in some games, as it doesn't actually DO much or anything in a lot of 32x games (for example, in Kolibri, if you halt the MD/Genesis' 68000 the background is the only thing affected.)

Epicenter posted on Jul 3 2006 at 01:44 AM said:
Sega CD emulation is feasible-- lowering the clockrates of the 2 68000s involved may help a good bit. I imagine the MCD 68000 does not necessarily NEED to run at 12 MHz-- 50% faster than the clock of the Genesis/MD's-- to handle BIOS functionality. That'd put a big dent in the demand.

The 32x is pretty much guaranteed never to work properly. It has 2 21 MHz SH-2 processors, plus extra video and audio hardware. That's just far too much for the GP2X to likely handle. Maybe if, in some games, the Slave SH-2 isn't doing work but the Master is, you could turn off one of them. Or halt the emulation of the MD/Genesis' 68000 in some games, as it doesn't actually DO much or anything in a lot of 32x games (for example, in Kolibri, if you halt the MD/Genesis' 68000 the background is the only thing affected.)

The second CPU in Sega CD is not the only thing in there though. there is also a DSP in there that does some scaling and rotation. All of that stuff would make me think that Sega CD is pretty impossible at a decent speed too on the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had a bit about that in my post, but took it out when I realized, the DSP's functionality would not operate like a microprocessor crucial to program operation like either of the 68000s or the Z80 in the combined machine, where when one isn't busy, it needs to at least be doing NOPs. Scaling and rotation would be handled by a workalike function imitating the functions of the original in all likelihood, not a precise emulation of that DSP's functionality.

In addition, this DSP is used by very few games. One of the very rare cases I can think of is Sonic CD's special stages where tile graphics are stretched across the ground forming textures on a flat surface in a mode-7 similar style.

Sega CD emu would be great... I'd love to play Night Trap on my GP2X. But I guess there aren't that many games that could justify the effort... especially since you'd be hard pressed to have more than a couple of them on your SD card.

Back