$267.62!?

mechanori

I was just about to buy a GP32BLU at gbax.com. The final amount, listed on their site, was $223, which I found reasonable. Then, proceeding to the actual payment stage, the price was listed as $267.62. This was without an SMC. Know that I'm not complaining when I say this, I'm just a little surprised.

So I guess my question is: Am I paying an outrageous amount for my GP32, or was this to be expected? I'm seeing $170 GP32FLUs on Ebay with SMCs and stuff included, and I feel like I'm paying $100 more for less.

What shipping did you choose?

It was ~$240 here total, using Airmail to the US.

And note the GP32s offered on ebay are probably used, possibly even broken or found not to be overclockable to 166MHz.

Huh? Am I missing something here? I always get ~$236 just for the price of the BLU without tax/shipping when I convert it from pounds.

mechanori posted on Jul 2 2004 at 03:59 AM said:
I was just about to buy a GP32BLU at gbax.com. The final amount, listed on their site, was $223, which I found reasonable. Then, proceeding to the actual payment stage, the price was listed as $267.62. This was without an SMC. Know that I'm not complaining when I say this, I'm just a little surprised.

So I guess my question is: Am I paying an outrageous amount for my GP32, or was this to be expected? I'm seeing $170 GP32FLUs on Ebay with SMCs and stuff included, and I feel like I'm paying $100 more for less.
You have to factor in currency exchange rate. You are not overpaying it is just part of importing. I would still say bite the bullet and get the BLU, you won't notice the few dollars more after awhile. What you WILL notice is the FAR superior screen contrast and color saturation of the BLU compared to the dust ridden washed out FLU screen. The reason FLUs are so cheap is because so many are dumping them for BLUs.

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx posted on Jul 2 2004 at 04:02 AM said:
What shipping did you choose?

It was ~$240 here total, using Airmail to the US.

And note the GP32s offered on ebay are probably used, possibly even broken or found not to be overclockable to 166MHz.
*Airmail* he is probably using the UPS express option which is more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came to a grand total of $183, including express UPS shipping (I got it in ~24 hours from the time they shipped it to me in New Jersey)

I'm impatient. :D

That is not the American tactic, it is the stupid Bush admin tactic, big difference :blink:

Woah- I just did it with airmail and debit (so it would be cheapest) and it comes out to $261.11 WTF!? thats horrible! 240 i can handle, but why does the price jump up from $212.50 to $261.11 when you try to pay!? generalnmx, are you sure you payed ~ $240? Cuz if you did, i'm stumped (and pissed)

Yeah, I'm positive I'm using airmail. Its 141.30 pounds, which comes out to be $257.23 on XE.com. It's gotta be the currency conversion... Well that sucks. What's interesting though is that the conversion from pounds to dollars is $257, whereas the conversion from pounds to Euros to dollars is $267.

I'm going for it anyway though. The fact that I already got 10 replies is enough reason to buy one of these things. The community is GREAT.

I just paid $238 for my BLU off GBAx. No SMC though, now I'll have to wait until I get a SMC to use it... Anyone got any spare 128MB cards they want to sell for cheap? ;)

I'm a first time user, and I'm hoping the BLU will be worth it. I just want everything to run at a good speed (which I'm hoping the 166mhz OC will do for me).

Wish me luck!

When you say just bought, what do you mean exactly? I don't understand how currency rates could soar that high so fast...

Does anyone know if Craig is still bundling an SMC reader/writer and the 166mhz mod?

The same thing happened to me, when I was going to buy my GP32 from GBAX. I had checked the price previously many times, but I when I got to the final checkout page (where you enter your credit info) the price had increased rather dramatically. It seemed to be due to the exchange rates and that the prices on the main page hadn't been updated …

Thankfully I was going to Hong Kong shortly thereafter. So I bought my GP32 at Lik-Sang instead … only drawback was that I had nothing to do on the 12 hour flight to HK :D

read well
on GBAX, all prices are without VAT
so you see the VAT only at the end

if you think it's too expensive, you can buy it on www.fnac.es (site in spanish) or www.shibuyagame.fr (site in french and english)

Shows up expensive for me too, And i'm in the states (No VAT)

30 dollars for a replacement screen and button membranes with AIRMAIL is nothing short of insanity however... Damn the US dollar turning into toliet paper.

Back