256Meg SMC, a myth??

dad

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi All
:unsure: Is the 256Meg, 5volt SMC a myth? I have tried a few importers and they all say that the factories have never heard of them. Most/all SMC readers only support 3.3v SMC. Could someone have them mixed up with 256K 5volt SMC from a few years back?

:D On the bright side I have held an XD to SMC adaptor which may or may not allow 256Meg XD to be used with GP32. The costs are high at present but with SMC on the decline it will be a thing to watch out for.

A 5v wouldnt matter, cause gp32 can only handle 3.3v. There was a site claiming to sell 3.3v 256mb smcs, but im sure it was fake.

I think it can be done too.......but what would it help? I don't want to try to fit a CF card in my GP32. My GP32 probably cannot bare the pain.....

Given the size of a CF card compared to a SMC, i think it would be MUCH
more feasable if an XD adapter was made instead. If you had an SMC to
CF adapter, think of how fragile it would be and how much weight the
CF card would already put on the very thin structure the adapter would
have to be to fit in the slot. One little hit and *snap*. Not so true with
an XD though. It is MUCH smaller and lighter. It would not stick out of the
top as much thus not as many *possible* accidents. Though I belive
the GP32 should have came with CF support instead of SMC, if we made
an adapter it seems to me XD would be the way to go.
Even though i love my CF's to death:(

:D

I believe that SmartMedia cards are not going to be come in any larger sizes and XD and SD memory will over take it. if you go to any electronics store you will notice that almost all cameras use either XD SD or CF memory. The reason for this is because SmartMedia was develped by Toshiba, and Toshiba has moved on to XD and SD memory.
:angry:

Toshiba did this because of the compatibility problems :blink: with SmartMedia's design. Each time a larger SMC card is released most existing devices may not be compatible. http://elm-chan.org/docs/sm_e.html

Even here at the SSFDC, which controls the future of SmartMedia you can see that the web site has not been updated since December of 2002. <_<

I highly doubt there there exists any adapter that would convert and other kind of memory to SMC, this is because the SMC specification does not include and kind of memory controller, which would be necessary for the adapter to access different kinds of memory. :(

Your best bet would be to find a 256 MB SMC, but I have looked all over and I have yet to find one. :angry:

Back