2 Newb Questions

chaozz

Still Fresh
Today I bought a GP2X. Huray! :D I upgraded the firmware to 3.0.0.

my first question: in the main menu when an icon is selected, the icon animates. but, in my case, I get horizontal black lines across them. but, when I select the Settings submenu, the same icon animation works perfectly.

What is wrong?

my second question: I read there are different versions of the GP2X, hardware-wise. Mk1, Mk2 and each have their revisions. How can I tell which one I have?

My serial starts with 2006.05.15

chaozz said:

my first question: in the main menu when an icon is selected, the icon animates. but, in my case, I get horizontal black lines across them. but, when I select the Settings submenu, the same icon animation works perfectly.

What is wrong?

my second question: I read there are different versions of the GP2X, hardware-wise. Mk1, Mk2 and each have their revisions. How can I tell which one I have?

1. probably something to do with too little nand..

2. which cap did your gp2x come with?

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_goat said:
No, it is a problem for everybody that used the upgrade.

chaozz said:

What is wrong?
You put firmware v3.0 on it, the GP2X equivalent of Windows ME, good luck.

You need to first determine if the cap on it is the original cap, If you can't tell that way (someone has changed the cap) then you need to pull off the cap and see what angle the notch is, if it is horizontal that is a MK1, if it is 45° angle then it is a MK2.

purple_goat said:
Much more likely that it is a bug in this firmware. I would stick with 2.1.1 as 3.0 seems to just be a gui overhaul. You should use something like gmenu2x instead.

As for the second question...Where did you buy your GP2X from? Regardless, you probably have an MKII.

If your unit was bought new, it is for sure an MK II, if it was used, I guess you will have to tell us what is written exactly on the back label, and I will compare it with what my unit has, this is the best and fastest way to check whether your unit is an MK I or II.

Regarding the firmware, downgrade, go to 2.0 or 2.1.1, I myslef use 2.0, but many members mentioned slight increase in performence with 2.1.1.

sehs33 said:
Regarding the firmware, downgrade, go to 2.0 or 2.1.1, I myslef use 2.0, but many members mentioned slight increase in performence with 2.1.1.
I will. It came with 2.0.0 and I liked that menu better than 3.0.0, but I figured newer is better. Now I know it's not.

Oh yeah, will my 4GB SD card still be supported? It wasn't at first, but after the update it was.

if the the sticker on the back is in korean its an MK2. Otherwise its an MK1.

The text on the back is Korean, so I guess I have an MKII. Great.

Ok, I downgraded. It worked. But when I switch it on, it shows the boot logo (first screen) which came with version 3.0.0. It say GP2X 3.0. After that the 2.1 boatloader shows up, and the 2.1.1 menu.

It's probably nothing, but is this supposed to happen?

I have also tons more questions about how to install all emulators and how to run them 'n stuff. But maybe someone can point me to a simple guide (not the manual, I read that).

It isn't 'supposed' to happen, but it doesn't matter either. You can change it, but it's a risky process, so I wouldn't recommend it :)

Risky Business?

220px-Tom_cruise_1989.jpg

It might be just me, but I wouldn't let Tom near my GP2X :lol:

Back