12 Frames Per Second?

arconreef

Still Fresh
If the Pandora's screen runs at 12fps... I mean c'mon, a movie's frame rate is more than twice that! Is it true that the Pandora runs at 12fps? Unless I'm mistaken, most videogames run at 20fps. I'm a noob, so could you please explain to me how 12fps could be acceptable? Am I wrong in saying that most videogames play at 20fps? It just seems to me, that 12fps would be to noticeably jerky. I'm probably wrong... :(

Ok, firstly, I'm unclear on your source that Pandora's screen is set to constantly display 12fps. This just isn't how screens work, unless the response time is very poor indeed (which I doubt). Given that 60fps needs approximately a 17ms response time and the Pandora's has been quoted to be a lot lower than that in another thread (no, I'm not going to source it, it was MWeston, so trawl his previous posts if you want details).

Also, Squidge mentioned in the Fba2x thread that he's coaxed ~300fps out of Pandora on code not optimized for it. It is most certainly capable of framerates higher than 12.

EDIT: Should add that the response time required was simply 1/60, which is probably a wildly inaccurate calculation, and that the 300fps figure would be internal fps rather than external - the software would be providing frames much faster than the screen could actually render them.

arconreef said:
If the Pandora's screen runs at 12fps... I mean c'mon, a movie's frame rate is more than twice that! Is it true that the Pandora runs at 12fps? Unless I'm mistaken, most videogames run at 20fps. I'm a noob, so could you please explain to me how 12fps could be acceptable? Am I wrong in saying that most videogames play at 20fps? It just seems to me, that 12fps would be to noticeably jerky. I'm probably wrong... :(
Wow...

My friend, with all due respect - you're very misinformed on all counts.

First of all, generally speaking, most games run at 30 - 60 fps (referring to consoles). 20FPS would be considered a very poor framerate by any standard. But that is the game's frame rate - which is not necessarily the same as the display's refresh rate (altho ideally they would be synchronized).

Display refresh rates are another story, and the topic can get complex depending how detailed you wanna get. So I'll skip any mention of CRT's and go straight to LCD's, since that's what the Pandora will have. While we don't AFAIK have the precise LCD specs yet on the Pandora screen, there is a "pixel refresh rate" on LCD's that is measured in milliseconds. The SMALLER the number the FASTER the LCD refersh is, so for example, a 20ms LCD pixel refresh rate is slower and therefore WORSE than a 12ms pixel refresh rate.

So most likely you read 20ms and 12ms and didn't understand what they meant. It's not frames per second, it's how long each physical LCD pixel has to wait before being refreshed again.

And where did you even read these specs? Was the Wiki updated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh... Sorry, my mistake. Someone was comparing the Pandora with the Chumby. Man I'm stupid.

What your probably doing right now: :rolleyes:

Well, at least I was educated on the Pandora's framerate.

.......Is is just me or is there a growing number of uninformed/already covered topics happening this week?

Maybe just me -

April fools is coming up in less than two weeks anyway ;).

arconreef said:
Uh... Sorry, my mistake. Someone was comparing the Pandora with the Chumby. Man I'm stupid.

Hehe...yeah. I remember reading about the Chumby a week ago. My first thought was, "What the heck! 12fps!"

Understandable, but next time fact check before you post. ;)

Kramy said:
arconreef said:

Hehe...yeah. I remember reading about the Chumby a week ago. My first thought was, "What the heck! 12fps!"

Understandable, but next time fact check before you post. ;)

Yeah, sorry.

MWeston said:
The LCD refresh is 60Hz.
I wonder if this will be adjustable, like it is on GP2X now. 50Hz PAL games are not very smooth on PSP, which has it's refresh locked @ ~60Hz.

Game_over said:
.......Is is just me or is there a growing number of uninformed/already covered topics happening this week?

Maybe just me -

April fools is coming up in less than two weeks anyway ;).
Let's hope that Pandora isn't 1 giant, year long april fools!

Now that would be cruel

notaz said:
I wonder if this will be adjustable, like it is on GP2X now. 50Hz PAL games are not very smooth on PSP, which has it's refresh locked @ ~60Hz.
I really hope so. Because if it's not the Pandora will never be the "perfect portable Amiga".

Back