0 A.D. Port Plans

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
There was some interesting news yesterday about 0 A.D.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MTY

I have briefly looked into this project at some point, but ever really wanted to dive into it. Well one of the developers has added GLES2 support into the rendering engine.

Experimental Android/GLES/GLSL support. To be sure, 0 A.D. is not designed to run on smartphones

This is the major piece that is needed for a pandora version. The dependency requirements are pretty sane too. Theres something called spidermonkey that ive never heard of, but sounds portable.

They also use SDL2, which was pretty rough the last time I messed with it. I think they support 1.2 still so might be better to use that for now (till SDL2 can get refreshed for pandora)

So I dont usually post potential project news till Im certain I have something that works. But im pretty confident this could run (if android can, then pandora can). Ive already started asking some questions to the developer.

But I also probably need to work on other projects at least until the rebirth contest ends.

But i think this is good news and could be a very nice project for pandora.

Interesting Project. :) I've already heared good things about the game, but so far I've never played it. The (beautiful) 3D graphics are pretty tough and complex, looks like it would need heavy optimizing to make this run nice on the Pandora. Of course I can live with lesser details and lower resolution.

I hope even if it is a PC Game, it will play niceley on a mobile device (controls) but thankfuly our Pandora has alot of controller options available. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, this would be really cool on pandora, but the system requirements seem pretty high.

They use 1.2 ghz a9 and thumb instructions... But you are a magician. You will make it work, I know that!

Go pickle go!

Just want to say that Pickle is one the biggest assets to the Pandora being successful, quality work is always a given.

0 A.D. looks to be a really great game, I've donated to them a couple of times now. Having that on the Pandora, would be awesome. Great work and ambition as always Pickle. Look forward to watching this progress.

Back