Zero-K (free, multiplatform, open-source RTS)

I was pretty involved with the Spring engine project. We're at the super low end of system requirements.

I was pretty involved with the Spring engine project. We're at the super low end of system requirements.

So not impossible? And when you are talking about super low end, do you mean Pandora or both?

Pandora is like 1/10 the system requirements. Pyra is maybe 1/2? It's going to suffer heavily on CPU with pathfinding, LOS calculations, unit scripts, and the ever prolific Lua scripts.

Not to mention the fact it basically requires a fully working desktop GL 2.0 implementation with shaders unless you want to do a LOT of porting. You're also unlikely to be able to play with x86 players as the sync requirements are very strict and there's no way an ARM chip will pass.

I'm not really talking about graphics performance either (which will definitely suffer). ZeroK has heavier graphics than most other Spring mods. Kernel Panic is a pretty good candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spring Engine is cool, but I would rather play with the old Total Annihilation on Open Pandora (I know PtitSeb ported the "3d" version, but it's too slow to be playable) if it were possible - for me it has always beaten starcraft in terms of RTS. 

Back