Zelda Game

Brotasmo

Hey! im looking to create a Zelda (styled) game. the thing is, im having trouble getting started, and if someone could point me in the right direction on a program or engine to use to get started. im not a programmer by any means and im looking to make this into a project for fun. thanks!

Brotasmo said:
Hey! im looking to create a Zelda (styled) game. the thing is, im having trouble getting started, and if someone could point me in the right direction on a program or engine to use to get started. im not a programmer by any means and im looking to make this into a project for fun. thanks!
If you don't want to mess much with code, there is ZeldaClassics.
If you're ready to mess with the code, then the 3 zelda's games could get a little brother

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking something closer to link to the past, but this works for now

First thing you should do if you want to start a project like this from scrath is to settle on a programming language (C for example) and probably also a graphics library (like SDL) and get familiar with those if you are not already.

The next thing I would do is make a list of stuff your game needs, e.g. collision detection, dialogue, map, movement, level file loading, menus, etc.
After that you can search the map on tutorials on how to do those tasks (e.g. if you don't know how a collision engine has to work in a top-down view).

When you got the basic engine working you can start creating actual content, like items, levels, characters, etc.

Also we have a shiny new place for discussions and requests like this now on gp32x.de:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=5&t=57626
You can ask for help there as well post details about your project and get other people interested.
I know it is not very crowded yet, but the more people get sent there the better it will turn out in the end :)

Anyway, good luck with your project and don't give up easily ;)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
First thing you should do if you want to start a project like this from scrath is to settle on a programming language (C for example) and probably also a graphics library (like SDL) and get familiar with those if you are not already.

The next thing I would do is make a list of stuff your game needs, e.g. collision detection, dialogue, map, movement, level file loading, menus, etc.
After that you can search the map on tutorials on how to do those tasks (e.g. if you don't know how a collision engine has to work in a top-down view).
It also depends on how much you personally want to implement. There are game development systems that contain all the code for you, you just put the graphics and maps and events and *poof* GAME! On the other end of the scale is very in depth work, starting with a graphics library (like SDL as you say) and writing everything from scratch including sprite animation and collision detection.
In the middle there are more complex I/O engines like Penjin which will handle differences in input, has support for animated sprites, and built in collision detection.
So how much work do you actually want to do? Is the goal to make the game, or is the goal to practice your coding?

WizardStan said:
foxblock said:

It also depends on how much you personally want to implement. There are game development systems that contain all the code for you, you just put the graphics and maps and events and *poof* GAME! On the other end of the scale is very in depth work, starting with a graphics library (like SDL as you say) and writing everything from scratch including sprite animation and collision detection.
In the middle there are more complex I/O engines like Penjin which will handle differences in input, has support for animated sprites, and built in collision detection.
So how much work do you actually want to do? Is the goal to make the game, or is the goal to practice your coding?
Truthfully, i wanted to get started in some coding....but maybe this is too hefty of a project for a beginner like me....the best i can do is basic HTML 4 lol

Brotasmo said:
Truthfully, i wanted to get started in some coding....but maybe this is too hefty of a project for a beginner like me....the best i can do is basic HTML 4 lol
then imho, zelda classics is your best bet

Back