XP's avi scan hangs cpu at 99%

animator75

Website
Visit site
Hi! I have a major problem when I have "Detailed List" (I think it is called that, I am currently on a Swedish XP)on in explorer and enters a folder with AVI's. Explorer tries to get the playtime of the avi and hangs the exlporer process (windows itself) at 99%. If i have thumbnails on everthing is fine untill i Rightclick on the AVI and windows again tries to get the playtime and properties, then hangs the explorer process at 99%. How do I dissable this crappy "get the playtime of any avi" function? and does anyone else have this problem besides all my friends. Thanks.

i dont think my xp does that (uk), i used to have a fair amount of avi files on my comp and it never crashed wheni was looking at the properties. i would test it for you know but i cant be bothered to put avi's on my comp

animator75 posted on Sep 14 2003 at 08:54 PM said:
I have a major problem when I have "Detailed List" on in explorer and enters a folder with AVI's. Explorer tries to get the playtime of the avi and hangs the exlporer process (windows itself) at 99%. [...] How do I dissable this crappy "get the playtime of any avi" function? and does anyone else have this problem besides all my friends.
I don't use XP anymore (for obvious reasons I might add <_< ) but IIRC you just have to right-click the grey bar with the names ("playtime" etc) and choose what you need and what not... there's even a "customize..." entry in the same menu, if memory serves me right, so you can fiddle with that if you want to - or if playtime doesn't show up...

I never had this particular problem [germany], but plenty of others... :ph34r:

OBrant: *sigh* everything was so much better on BeOS... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
CTLance posted on Sep 14 2003 at 08:39 PM said:
animator75 posted on Sep 14 2003 at 08:54 PM said:
OBrant: *sigh* everything was so much better on BeOS... :(
The same could be said about Merlin, but MS won the day! However, all said and done, we wouldn't be as advanced as we are today - All the other OS's were "small time" so would not have made the progression as "The big-fish" MS! - Still, it would have been nice to have the choice... All we have now-a-days is either the PC or the Mac, and I know which glorified type-writer I wouldn't choose!

Thanks for all your help.
I might add that this problem is mainly with big AVI's like movies, and mostly with non standard codecs DivX, 3ivX, XVid, etc..

It is a real pain that some of the software I use only works on XP thesedays, like the newest version of Premiere.

I Miss my Atari Falcon and my trusty TOS and GEM :(

I wonder if XP uses the codecs when it scans for playtime, if so it might be a problem with that codec and not XP istelf. Guess I could reinstall all codecs. I use the K-Lite codec pack.

NightStar posted on Sep 15 2003 at 01:19 AM said:
CTLance posted on Sep 14 2003 at 08:39 PM said:
everything was so much better on BeOS... :(
[...]
All we have now-a-days is either the PC or the Mac, and I know which glorified type-writer I wouldn't choose!
Aw c'mon, Windows 2000 isn't THAT bad... :lol:

But I was referring to the BFS filesystem... a database-like FS that could store any data you wanted in addition to the data itself... MP3 handling and such was soooo easy... and the best thing were the instant queries... it showed the results instantly. :(

Ah well. At least MS is planning on something similar.... but knowing them, I won't like it. ;)

Back