Xorg With Breakout Box

danboid posted on May 17 2006 at 01:32 AM said:
Orkie-

Have you tried your mouse (and keyboard) under the gp2x port of Qtopia? That would be a good test of your hardware setup if you haven't tried it already.

Thanks for the screenshot- shame that vkbd panel is so big! Is there not a way to make it smaller? As it is it looks like we'll be lucky to fit that onto a 640x480 desktop, nevermind 320x240.

Can't wait for TV-out support under gp2x11- hopefully we'll have a BoB to try it all out with soon..

I have tried under Qtopia but it just refuses to light up my USB optical mouse (in fact, it doesn't even detect it despite the fact that USB HDs work and the mouse has been tested on my PC). I doubt it would work in that release anyway since I have had to disable other mouse protocols until I can get the joystick working as a mouse without gpm (you may not be interested in that, but I am and since I'm doing the work, what I want to do will get done first :)).

It is possible to resize the virtual keyboard, I've just not really looked into it yet (there is no use for a keyboard at the moment anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie posted on May 17 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
I have tried under Qtopia but it just refuses to light up my USB optical mouse (in fact, it doesn't even detect it despite the fact that USB HDs work and the mouse has been tested on my PC). I doubt it would work in that release anyway since I have had to disable other mouse protocols until I can get the joystick working as a mouse without gpm (you may not be interested in that, but I am and since I'm doing the work, what I want to do will get done first :)).

It is possible to resize the virtual keyboard, I've just not really looked into it yet (there is no use for a keyboard at the moment anyway).

resize works - use the -geometry option and -compact removes the function keys and keypad

Or put (adapted from man page):

Edit: Added

xvkbd.windowGeometry: 220x90
xvkbd.compact: true
xvkbd*Font: 5x8

in your .Xdefaults file

Another update: I've compiled all the libraries with -msoft-float and they are in the latest release. This release unlike the previous one can be run from the menu by running the included gp2x11.gpu script. I've not tested the libraries so I would appreciate any feedback as to how well they work (assuming they do work). Also, in this release, there are no 'bonus' programs (i.e. the virtual keyboard, twm and xeyes) so if you want to use them, you'll need to either recompile them using the included static libraries or copy them from a previous release. Once again, it can be downloaded from http://khato.fatfurs.co.uk/orkie/ and the file is named GP2X11-0.1-RC2.zip.

PS: This will be the last update for a while, don't worry, I haven't abandoned it though links to the source are included in the README.TXT file if you want to take a look at it (WARNING: it is a bit of a hack at the moment).

techFreak posted on May 18 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
My mouse is perfectly runs on GP2X w/ Qtopia. B) But I couldn't get my USB Keyboard working. It displays some strange chars. :blink:
Is it an optical mouse, or one with a ball? Mine is an optical one and I think it must have to have some slightly different drivers since it just won't light upon the GP2X, though it will on Windows XP and it will on Ubuntu Dapper.

Parkydr: Thanks for that

reply to danboid

yeah rox is fast but im more concerned of /usr/X11R6 and all its bloat if the goal is to get remote desktop why not do as DSL (damnsmalllinux) and compile xvfb or xvesa (Aka tinyX,Kdrive)as its much smaller and runs X directly on framebuffer

evol posted on May 18 2006 at 11:45 PM said:
reply to danboid

yeah rox is fast but im more concerned of /usr/X11R6 and all its bloat if the goal is to get remote desktop why not do as DSL (damnsmalllinux) and compile xvfb or xvesa (Aka tinyX,Kdrive)as its much smaller and runs X directly on framebuffer

I think you're confusing the X server and the desktop. Orkie's X server is Xfbdev (Aka tinyX,Kdrive). It runs off the SD card and puts nothing in /usr/X11R6. The X server just provides access to the screen and mouse etc.

Orkie also includes twm which is a window manager (still not what I'd call a desktop but the terms desktop/window manager are often used interchangeably). This looks after window positioning, stacking, sizing etc

Desktops (rox/blackbox/kde/gnome) etc give you things anything from a fancy window manager up to a whole suite of applications.

DSL uses fluxbox as it's window manager/desktop but there's no reason rox or matchbox (my favourite) could not be used. Whichever is used, they can all use the same X server.

im not confusing desktop with X
me pointing out that /usr/X11R6 is bloated is because i tought you meant to port X over to gp2x
not Kdrive,Xvfb (as they can be standalone)

i replied just to confirm that

A. i know the difference betwen X and an WM
B. to see if youre taking some tought in the bloat department

i got my answer its Kdrive your porting not X

and the confusion is that the topic makes me jump the conclusions
im sorry if i have offended any off you but the reply i got that ROX is fast does have null to do with the fact that X is bloated on an embedded device

I don't think X is bloated if you set it up yourself. When you get it with a standard Linux distribution, of course there will be a lot more bits in there than you need because they need to cater for everyone but if you are creating packages for a single system with unchanging specifications, you can be more picky about what you include.

"i got my answer its Kdrive your porting not X"

I don't quite understand how that can be true since Kdrive is an X server so yes, I am porting X, just not the complete XFree86 with all the extras in which nobody ever uses.

X is a protocol Xorg,Xfree86 is a program that implements that protocal Kdrive is not fully X complient (its stripped down) and that is where i got my questions from :huh:

and no im not trying to look down on your effort im just explaining why i wrote, what i wrote :blink:

now ill leave and let you guys get back to work

cheers

Anhaedra posted on May 8 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
I'm curious why anyone would want to do office work or surfing on their GP2X. It seems like it would be a pain to carry a keyboard, mouse, breakout box, and the GP2X around with you when you could accomplish the same thing with a PDA or laptop.

for one thing, with a portable breakout box design, you can carry around the bluetooth laser keyboard (if you have enough cash for one =/ ) and a bluetooth adapter, or one of those badass rollup usb keyboards.
mouse is a bit more sketchy, there really isn't any sort of portable trackball or mousepad that i know of (maybe a wacom tablet? too expensive for me, but an option) if someone made a bluetooth mouse like a laptops touch pad we'd be gold.

Orkie posted on May 19 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
techFreak posted on May 18 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
My mouse is perfectly runs on GP2X w/ Qtopia. B) But I couldn't get my USB Keyboard working. It displays some strange chars. :blink:
Is it an optical mouse, or one with a ball? Mine is an optical one and I think it must have to have some slightly different drivers since it just won't light upon the GP2X, though it will on Windows XP and it will on Ubuntu Dapper.

Parkydr: Thanks for that

It was a Microsoft Optical Mouse 3000.

Back