WTB: Looking for any Pandora with no major issues, or parts to build one

groovechicken

Being the Linux geek that I am, I am just reaching my limit of dealing with Android and Google and I am ready to get a Pandora. Unfortunately, I spent all my Christmas money and gift cards on other stuff before reaching this point and money is really tight. That's why I figure my best bet is to look for a Classic with no wifi or screen issues and use it until I can scrounge the money to buy a 1GHz upgrade board. And that would hold me over until the Pyra.

Given the money constraints I have, I would also consider buying parts if you have spares so that I could just buy the upgrade board and assemble it with the parts I can find. I will mostly use it as a portable Linux communications device, though, and only minimally for gaming right now, so it is important that I get one with fully working wifi. Using a USB wifi will be a problem with my intended usage.

I am hoping to start getting involved in the community and the repos early to get familiar with everything in time to help out with the Pyra distro and repos, and figured this is my best shot.

Alternatively, if you have some parts or a unit you would be willing to trade or do a partial trade plus cash on, please see my Engadget (formerly gdgt) profile for a list of all the stuff I have and see if there is anything there you would be interested in:
http://www.engadget.com/profile/groovechicken/

I am really loving what I have seen of this community so far and looking forward to being more involved!

Peace,

Todd

P.S. Would prefer to stay with the US because I have had bad luck in the past with international shipping that doesn't come from an actual retailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I`m not sure if ED`s shop does any deals on parts/broken Pandoras, maybe someone more experienced (or ED himself) could answer that. 

But being also in similar predicament - unable to afford full price unit - I stumbled upon one within my price range (under 200 quid) on ebay and gobbled it up. Now, it was an odd chance, because I never really checked regularly, seeing as mostly there are rather pricey units (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pandora-1-Ghz-Open-source-handheld-console-linux-netbook-/111296374804?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item19e9c7e814 - silly price of 420 pounds, might as well buy straight from ED) - but occasionally you can spot a bargain or a "for parts" unit. So maybe set an email alert or something.

There`s also a thread on this board dedicated to selling - keep at it, you never know ;)

PS: Comedy/Desperado Mode: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15833-anyone-willing-to-exchangejust-give-away-a-pandora/

Last edited by a moderator:
you could totally grab a pandora with non working wifi and save some of your bucks. use a wifi dongle instead. the onboard wifi doesnt work too well anyway (even if its working as it should).

if you depend on a stable wifi connection the additional dongle is what you want. trust me.

My big concern with the USB wifi is that I will often be carrying this around in a cargo pocket, running with the lid closed. It just seems too iffy to have that sticking out waiting to get caught on something. Plus, if it is running with the lid closed in my pocket and the wifi disconnects because the dongle got jostled, I would not know I was missing messages until I took it out for something.

Basically, I have already moved into the realm of using SIP as my only phone # with SMS forwarding to email, so this would replace the Cyanogenmod Galaxy SIII I am using as a wifi-only phone right now. Maybe the consensus I am getting is that the existing models won't be so great in this usage scenario and I should plan to keep the Cyanogenmod devices active until the Pyra and just use whatever Pandora I can find to get familiar with the community until then.

My big concern with the USB wifi is that I will often be carrying this around in a cargo pocket, running with the lid closed. It just seems too iffy to have that sticking out waiting to get caught on something. Plus, if it is running with the lid closed in my pocket and the wifi disconnects because the dongle got jostled, I would not know I was missing messages until I took it out for something.
there are mini wifi dongles available that don't add significantly to the pandora's size. they hardly will get in your way and they stick tightly, so it would need some force to dislocate them while in your pocket or bag.

my point is: if disconnection is your main concern, the onboard wifi is your arch enemy.

congrats, by the way, on the decision to take part in this great community :)

Back