Wizardry port?

PortaPotty

Still Fresh
Are there any wizardry ports and if not what is the likelyhood of any of them getting ported to the pandora? I have no codeing experience so forgive me asking if its not possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know i would kill for them there really the only old dungeon crawlers i like never could get into dungeon master or eotb granted i suppose some would probably work since i think theres an appl2 emulator and if i remember the early ones were dos but native support would just be so friggin nice. i humbly throw my request to our most talented coders please get native wizardry i really don't care which one/s.

A "port" is where you get the original source code/artwork/audio/etc and hack around on it to make it fit on a new platform; ie: getting a honda civic and adding train-wheels to fit onto a train track.

--> Wizardry has never been open sourced

No one has 'decompiled' it, either, to 'make source'.

Running it under emulation can be done.. ie: Wizardry 7 (Dark Savant) is available for DOS and runs fine in DosEmu (and other solutions.)

Wizardry 8 is getting old too, but not yet within our reach, but mobile devices are certainly in the ballpark now/soon for that..

Wizardry is a very old series, wiz 1-7 run easily in emualtion, just Wiz8 is the holdout..

jeff

yea i know just never liked dosbox when using it on the pc was always a bit finnicky for my tastes but i suppose its worth it. also are there any programs for mapping in old games like wizardry i could get graph paper isnt very portable.

Funny you mention that.. there are some (lame) mapping apps around.. not sure if any are ported to pandora.

I was going to write a (lame ;) mapping tool, that was very focused for text adventures and RPGs, but never got around to it; there are some java ones which might run on pandora in the java port WizStan supports, or maybe for Android on pandora..

Old school Real Man RPGs definately needed players making maps :)

(Wiz7 Gold mind you had a built in automapper I think.. but it was Win95 or something, I forget.)

jeff

Old school Real Man RPGs definately needed players making maps :)

Amen to that! I do think playing games like that is a two person job though. One moving, one mapping and writing down clues and quests. :)

I have such fond memories of my friend and me in our early teens using up loads of mm paper and discussing decisions as if it were a life or death situation. (well in some of the old games a wrong move could back you up quite a bit or even let you start all over)

i'd love a native pandora mapper so i can have it run as i play would also love one for the likes of zork :) i'm all behind you making one skeezix.

I'm writing up a new game instead .. and being me, I've passed on making an easy doable one (again :eek: ), and working on one that is far too big .. but hey, gotta keep it interesting, right? :)

jeff

well gl with the game if anyone finds a mapping program that can run natively on the pandora please post here.

There were many "Wizardry" games released. Sir-Tech never (to my knowledge) released the source code to any of them, so no port is possible.

You should be able to run the original Wizardry games in dosbox or linapple. hth

There are also many simialr games (since Wizardry and Dungeon Master spawned the modern RPG genre), so look for.. Eye of the Beholder, World of Xeen, etc. OR older stuff like Alternate Reality, Bards Tale, and so on..

jeff

well also good ole might and magic series but as far as first person dungeon crawlers like dungeon master and eotb wizardry was the only one i actually like and m&m still has me looking for a portable mapping program i mean even some kind of digital graph paper would work i just can't go around carrying notebooks full of maps though :(

@skeezix: You must be about 36 years old if you liked Dungeon Master. :)

Richard Garriot released Akalabeth for the Apple II in 1979 and got it published in 1980 and Wizardry 1 followed in 1981. Both featured first person dungeon crawls. Dungeon Master followed aeons later (1987) and it "pioneered" a godforsakenly awful mouse interface for basic movement. It was born of the idea "hey we have this new thing called a mouse - lets use it to replace the much more efficient keyboard!" It was crap that sold extremely well to people who hadn't experienced the better, older RPGs - so obviously it spawned imitators. For a brief time.

Imagine a modern CRPG with "click arrow to turn left" instead of WASD... oh, the pain....

Between the pioneers Akalabeth/Ultima 1/Wizardry 1 and DM lay a whole evolution of CRPGs. If you want an epic oldschool CRPG, don't miss the xu4 Ultima 4 remake!

DM and CSB had keyboard controls as well silly :) (on ST and Amiga at least..)

I'm 40 :(

(and using my phone while two babies sleep on me... Pinned ;)

Actually Wiz7 was worse offender.. No keys at all. I've considered modding it to add key controls..

Thanks for the correction skeezix. I must have been thinking of Wizardry 7. Brain is playing tricks on me.

Back