Wishing On A Dream.....

timeslip

Might have already been done, but im too lazy to check but what apps,games,ports would you like to get your hands on ?

For me
Port of Fpsx the pocket pc emulator (runs bloody good on my 200mhz x30)
AMIGA EMULATOR!
Book reader with PDF support
Bejeweled (bloody good puzzle game)
Ports Of Quake 1,2 (hell quake 3 since source is out with wifi multiplayer!)
MAME and Neogeo Emulators

I'd like to see any Castlevania games... Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, CV4.

And the GP2X's popularity is growing at an absurd rate, so I really think anything will be possible in the future given the time, even the PSX emulator =) A coder who has experience with PSX emu is already interested in the GP2X from what I hear. Good news!

PDF book reader is probably possible based on my limited knowledge - I'm quite new to this community and can't say that I know THAT much, but I do know that the device is running a Linux kernel, so maybe it'll be possible to put something like XWindows and port a already available Linux PDF Viewer. I don't know if this would be possible but I don't see why it wouldn't be. Although it's still a native Linux, the architecture IS different from your standard x86, but won't the device have gcc and etc?

I don't know, I'm a newb.

Regards,
fritz

Why a book reader in PDF? particularly because of the screen, surely text files would be better, so you can decide the layout. PDF is useful, for keeping formatting/pictures, but most wouldn't scale right. So surely a conveter would be better.

On a side not. I did see a cool application on the MAC(can't remember the name), and have looked for an equivalent on Linux(I assume you can steam to festival). That reads the book to you. I can imagine this being much better on a portable device, plus I like the idea of Rough Rita(Do a search) reading me fanny hill.

Cyclops posted on Sep 20 2005 at 12:40 PM said:
Why a book reader in PDF? particularly because of the screen, surely text files would be better, so you can decide the layout. PDF is useful, for keeping formatting/pictures, but most wouldn't scale right. So surely a conveter would be better.

In all honestly ideally need a book reader which read all formats - lit,pdf etc - online books come in a varity of formats so the more covered the better

Something like Ubook which is available already on most formats (not sure about linux tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
PDF won't be readable on such a little screen. It's only 320px wide so the text will be very messed up. Well, if you don't mind doing side scrolling then yeah but I can't imagine anyone doing that when reading a book.

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 20 2005 at 12:52 PM said:
PDF won't be readable on such a little screen. It's only 320px wide so the text will be very messed up. Well, if you don't mind doing side scrolling then yeah but I can't imagine anyone doing that when reading a book.

Use them occasionally on my pda and your not wrong they are fairly awful to read.
Unfortunatly its the also the only way to keep documents in their correct format

timeslip posted on Sep 20 2005 at 12:49 PM said:
Cyclops posted on Sep 20 2005 at 12:40 PM said:

In all honestly ideally need a book reader which read all formats - lit,pdf etc - online books come in a varity of formats so the more covered the better

Something like Ubook which is available already on most formats (not sure about linux tho)

I would KILL for a reader that could do both lit (PocketPC) and pdb (Palm) ebooks. I have tons of bothm and there are some amazing newsgroups for both. :p

Especially since my Zodiac is just about dead now (goes haywire randomly and battery dies off fast). (altho I do plan to get a new PocketPC sometime in the next 6 months or so)

How I dream it:

On a 2gb fast sd card I’ll have emulators and ROMs for the following systems:

NES
SNES
Genesis
NeoGeo MVS
Capcom CPS2

Of course all of them will run at full speed with perfect compatibility.

Using the built-in memory I’ll have the following “don’t leave home without it” Linux applications, and since they’ll all somehow fit in that 64mb of built-in storage I can pop-in a SDIO WiFi card to connect to the internet.

Bash
Gaim w/Aspell
Firefox
SSH
XChat
MPlayer

Now in the far off land of my dream where I really am just dreaming I’ll have that full speed Playstation emulator.

Same as the one already mentioned. i wouldalso like to see a DOSbox emulator on the gpx2 if it's possbile.

robox posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:22 PM said:
Same as the one already mentioned. i wouldalso like to see a DOSbox emulator on the gpx2 if it's possbile.

Got a dos emu on my PPC , playing warcraft 2 - Very cool, not going to be the same without using the stylus for mouse emulation tho

mmm. dos emu....

mm one must fall, little big adventure, grand theft auto, jane of the jungle, jazz jackrabbit.

so much would be possible

Aq3of8 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 07:39 PM said:
mmm. dos emu....

mm one must fall, little big adventure, grand theft auto, jane of the jungle, jazz jackrabbit.

so much would be possible

MOO...

causes04a8gl.jpg

:huh:

Why do we keep shooting so high, like ps1 and n64. How about gba? I think that should be are goal, gba, snes and mame. That should be the major goal. The ps1 (n64 is impossible) would be something we should wait like 1-2 years to do, after we start to see the power of the console and we all OC it.

Don't set your self up for disapointment. We WILL (someone is going to do it, it is inevitable) have some sort of ps1 emulator, but I have no clue how well it will work

reallynotnick posted on Sep 21 2005 at 01:42 AM said:
Why do we keep shooting so high, like ps1 and n64. How about gba? I think that should be are goal, gba, snes and mame. That should be the major goal. The ps1 (n64 is impossible) would be something we should wait like 1-2 years to do, after we start to see the power of the console and we all OC it.

Don't set your self up for disapointment. We WILL (someone is going to do it, it is inevitable) have some sort of ps1 emulator, but I have no clue how well it will work

I don't think there is anything wrong with shooting high. I do think that the design is wrong for PS1/N64 emulation, and I'm not talking about how powerful it is as a console.

On the emulation front there is still a lot of things. I'd like to see emulated(BBC if the top of my head). But I think linux opens a lot of doors for relatively easy porting of a lot of the simpler emulators.

I think many will be surprised by the linux stuff on the GP2X becuase most do not have used it for games. I think emulation may not be as dominant as It once was.

Also REALLY like to have a port of DoomGL. For those not in the know its a rewrite of opensource rewrite of doom with quake quality visuals, 3d models,scripting and proper mouse look.

It very very cool, got a half assed port on PPC but would love to see someone (doing anything craig ? lol) do justice to it

Back