Why mame4all uses old romset ?

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi !

A question i ask myself everytime i launch mame since i bought a gp2x :

Why mame4all still uses old romset ? So much games are missing.

as far as i know,

because it's based on old MAME code

that's because the old code is faster

the new code is slower because MAME wants more accuracy (correctness in emulating chips), not speed in new versions

Ah ok !

Is there an up to date mame project for ARM ?

Is the original mame project can be compiled on OP ?

Ah ok !

Is there an up to date mame project for ARM ?

Is the original mame project can be compiled on OP ?

MAME106 also exists for the Pandora, it runs quite a few of the newer games fullspeed as well.

But a lot run slow, as MAME is not meant to be fast (it's even slow for a lot of games on my dualcore desktop PC ;) )

Mmm, even mame-106 isn't mame-0.140u1 ^^. I suppose 106 is based on the nice-but-dead xmame ?

Anyway, i find it very surprising that no coder proposes a -current build on ARM/OP.

Note that i don't criticize mame4all ^^. I'm pretty happy to game around with it.

So is the original mame project can be compiled on OP ? I mean, without rewriting a lot of stuff. Or is it x86-enslaved ? (pure curiosity, i'm not a dev)

So is the original mame project can be compiled on OP ? I mean, without rewriting a lot of stuff. Or is it x86-enslaved ? (pure curiosity, i'm not a dev)

again, this is derived from logic, not from actually trying:

mame, does not use assembler "tricks" they want nice clean c++ code that resembles the true chips of the original boards

(they consider themselves an archiving/historian of arcade machines)

so in theory it should compile quite easy

but nice and clean c++ is not the fastest way to do things, i doubt you'll get playable performance

(compiling correctly and getting usable software are two different things)

like ED say's even modern desktop machines struggle with the original codebase.

the mame4all codebase does use "ugly" patches to gain speed

Yes, yes i understood very well that, thank you for answering, BUT :

Is the original mame project can be compiled on/for OP ? I mean, without rewriting a lot of stuff. Or is it x86-enslaved ?

Saw sldmame can, but as it's now merged into mame sources...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, yes i understood very well that, thank you for answering, BUT :

Is the original mame project can be compiled on/for OP ? I mean, without rewriting a lot of stuff. Or is it x86-enslaved ?

Saw sldmame can, but as it's now merged into mame sources...

so in theory it should compile quite easy

I'll take a shot when i'll receive my OP.

Thanks all.

Latest Mame probably compiles without too much hassle - I think SteveM compiled the 0.106 version a while back, and mentioned he had to make a couple of changes.

Mame 106 was chosen as it was before a major gfx code-base rewrite (or was it authentic discrete sound emulation?) which introduced a large slowdown. As desktop PC's have grown in power Mame has occasional lurched to a much-slower but more-accurate emulation approach (aiming for max-accuracy, clean & consistent code - quite a challenge in a such a huge project).

Also, the vast majority of well-known/common arcade boards have now been emulated to some extent in Mame. If you look at game lists, I'd be surpised if there is much new stuff added apart from modern arcade systems that are going to be a real struggle for something like the Pandora even using ARM assembly instead of C++.

Why do yuo want Mame 0.140? What games are you missing from Mame 0.106?

Well it was mostly curiosity.

I'm still using xmame, because almost all the game i like runs on it, and i don't need really more (GTI club, if it's emulated by now would make me happier).

Compiled it myself, as i'm a Slackware user, and found it pretty easy to configure via the building script.

But, on my gp2x and wiz, some games like galaxy force 2 and some others i can't remember now misses me so much TT.

So i asked myself why nobody uploaded a mame -current for our little machines...

BTW, if some of you are galaxy force 2 fans, you should read (if you read french) this 158 pages thread about the restoration "from scratch" of a GF2 Deluxe cab :

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=13688.0

Mmmm as an active member of the Linux community, i can tell you this is definately not a slacker behaviour. I don't know where you get that cliché.

Oh mais tu es belge une fois ^^.

I do not appreciate having to use Google translate on an English based forum, it's too confusing :p , also it gives me random gibberish with a few english words thrown in.

gibberish with a few english words thrown in.

google doesn't like "spoken" french and dutch only the official versions :p

a friend of mine speaks *bruxelle* that just french, dutch and some english smacked together. try translating that if you don't live there (brussels).

Last edited by a moderator:
google doesn't like "spoken" french and dutch only the official versions :p

a friend of mine speaks *bruxelle* that just french, dutch and some english smacked together. try translating that if you don't live there (brussels).

that is very inconvenient, why can't the entire world speak English primarily?

Most everybody i know IRL is tri-langual.

Dutch and French are official (goverment) languages (seriously, if you want to entertain yourself for a day, read up on belgian goverment)

english is necessary for economic and online entertainment reasons ;)

depending on if you count my local dialect as dutch or not,

and me reading german but not speaking it.

you could say i am quad/penta-lingual

funny thing is, in my local dialect, i can't properly communicate with people living only 50-60km away. have to resort to *proper dutch* or french. depending on which direction i travel :p

Back