Which Open Source Console Do You Think Is Best?

nigelgk

Still Fresh
Hi there,

I have been into emulation and homebrew for some time but have always used a PC. I am going to buy an open source handheld but could do with your advice. Although the Pandora looks fantastic it seems a bit expensive. So I have narrowed down to a Wiz or a GP2x F200 (via ebay).

Do you have any views on which unit is best. Is there much difference between the sceen sizes and their abilities? For thoses of you that have used both, if you could only have one which one would it be and why?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nippy.... :)

Very recent thread here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47649 ;)

Short version: The GP2X is the predecessor of the Wiz. It's had years to build up a solid software library. The Wiz is just starting that journey, but it has the same dev community behind it - so things will happen fast. The Wiz is of course newer technology, and much more pocketable than an F200.

My opinion: I love my F200, but given the choice between the two, I'd take the Wiz. Then I'd throw a party, because my days of managing a pile of rechargeable AA batteries would be over.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this moment, the Wiz.

It has a good future ahead of it I think, and you can actually buy one now. I think the price is slightly high (IMO $150 would be ideal) and it has a few kinks to work out yet (read the sticky post from warmfluffy) but overall it seems pretty cool. The Pandora is still not ready to purchase, and there is no solid release date yet.

At this time it would be GP2X. There are FAR more emulators and games available for it. Plus the screen size of 3.5" vs 2.8" is pretty significant although the Wiz has a better viewing angle and better contrast.

The pickin's right now for emus and homebrew on the Wiz are pretty slim. There just isn't allot for it yet. I would expect and hope this would change in the future.

So if you want something with allot right now then it is GP2X. If you are willing to have fewer things now and get more in the future as it grows then it is Wiz.

Prophet and DaveC commented all you need I believe and I always follow their opinions on board though, I just add my two cents.

Pandora might be 'the' most powerful open source console (I preorder it too) BUT

for mobile (I mean, in your pocket) handheld, with 3D accelation and great screen,
Wiz will be the best choice you can get for a while. (It's brightness/contrast and viewable angle range is just great)

It already has most emulators with good speed (and good screen :)) and it will keep being better. :D

and it will keep being better. :D
I second this. From experience, the Sega Genesis emulation is about a nanometer from being perfect. The only problems are some sprite layering (Pacman 2 and Sonic Spinball in small areas), and very slight tearing in isometric games such as Sonic 3D Blast. Just remember to view the readme so you can get the full speed and best sound from it! Excellent Sega Genesis emulation says a LOT about the system.

chickendung posted on May 22 2009 at 05:54 PM said:
Excellent Sega Genesis emulation says a LOT about the system.
What is it that it says about the system? Genesis emulation on GP2X is just as good.

Exophase posted on May 22 2009 at 12:08 PM said:
chickendung posted on May 22 2009 at 05:54 PM said:
Excellent Sega Genesis emulation says a LOT about the system.
What is it that it says about the system? Genesis emulation on GP2X is just as good.
Yeah, I realized that about an hour after I posted that.

I love how people are like Wiz doesnt have as many games as gp2x does... well duh... but most of these *if not all * will be ported over to wiz and be better on wiz if you look at mame you can tell wiz is running them better. Plus wiz doesnt use AA batterys UGH and its more pocket compatible *pocket as pants pocket* the wiz emu's now are like first Ports dude the wiz is very new a week or 2 and itll have prolly double the games available already

darkriku posted on May 23 2009 at 03:23 AM said:
I love how people are like Wiz doesnt have as many games as gp2x does... well duh... but most of these *if not all * will be ported over to wiz and be better on wiz if you look at mame you can tell wiz is running them better. Plus wiz doesnt use AA batterys UGH and its more pocket compatible *pocket as pants pocket* the wiz emu's now are like first Ports dude the wiz is very new a week or 2 and itll have prolly double the games available already
Well we say it because it is true. Also you don't know if all games and or emus will be ported. We may hope but it is not a given. Many devs have left for other systems like Pandora Dingoo etc. or have just stopped the scene. I am sure there will be emus that will not be ported. One for example is Atari Lynx, I doubt we will see that.

We know what the GP2X has now, anything not out already on the Wiz is just speculation. No one knows for sure what will and what won't be out. If we were that good at speculating we would all be rich from the stock market.

Back