What Would You Want From A $50 Handheld Console?

Dr.Altaica said:
I'm thinking something along the lines of a GP32 BLU in an N64 controller.

I don’t think a N64 Controller would comfortable fit in a pocket. Maybe a SNES Controller.

Hey luzfish, I had a gp2x-F100 so I do realize the short battery life would be an issue but at a $50 price point you would have to cut some things. Maybe with a newer and more efficient arm processer and a smaller and/or dimmer screen it would work out ok. I think your right the about Dingoo not having 3D I think I was thinking of the Wiz. Also I agree it could resemble a GBA only I think putting only 2 action buttons would be a mistake. Do adding buttons affect the price much I don’t know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr., the trekstor thing was an example of what good tech costs, no need to dissect the post. The multitalent is what I guess you expect of a "little pandora", i.e. more than mp3. I get the feeling you misunderstood what I said on purpose.

The Dingoo does very little wrong considered its price. You can't expect developers to go into much detail/apply much love on that budget. They have to save somewhere, so they can pass the savings on. And can move on to the next rip-off that will be cheap, limited and have obvious flaws.

What do you think where quality comes from?

aaronson911 said:
Chip said:
Any $50-60 device would have to be nearly as good as the Dingoo, since you can get one of them for only $20-30 more. Frankly, I don't see the point.
um.. where can you get a dingoo for that cheap? I assume you mean used. But still I can't find one on eBay for less then $50. If you could reply with the links that would be appreciated.
I think you missed something. The Dingoo is $80 brand new. Nobody is going to buy a significantly inferior device for $50-60 when, for an additional $20-30, they could get a Dingoo instead. The portion of the general public that is willing to spend $60 but is not willing to spend $80 has got to be small, bordering on non-existent.

The Dingoo is already very cheap, yet still very capable. In order to reduce the price any further, you'd end up dropping functionality faster than you'd drop cost. The result would be a device that is far less useful, dollar-for-dollar, than the Dingoo, and still not cheap enough to make the compromises worthwhile.

aaronson911 said:
I don’t think a N64 Controller would comfortable fit in a pocket. Maybe a SNES Controller.

You know. That's the only feature I explicitly asked about and your the first person to mention it.

I don't think how comfortable it would be in your pocket is important to people.

kuru said:
The multitalent is what I guess you expect of a "little pandora", i.e. more than mp3.
Dr.Altaica said:
...Handheld console
Dr.Altaica said:
...gaming handheld...

You expect me to believe your so dumb you didn't know I was talking about a handheld video game console?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console said:
What do you think where quality comes from?
I think quality comes from something like this.

You have the idea that quality comes from high prices?

Firefox said:
Anybody know where I can get a Zipit Z2 from in the UK? I wouldn't mind having a bit of a code for it.

Hi Firefox,

I`ve looked everywhere over the last 4 or 5 days for any indication or link of someone selling the Zipit Z2 in the UK, And nothing. I did find someone on the UK ebay site selling these, But info on the auction page said they will only take orders via their website http://www.myzipitwireless.com/index.phpMy link.

I bit the bullet a ordered one from them about an hour ago, After first doing some more searching (to no avail), As i have been really interested in getting on of these since finding out about them.

Shipping was just shy of £20, But i suppose that`s the price you pay if you really want something (Obviously within reason).
Will let you know if i get stung by import charges, once i receive it, If you are interested.

Trooper

trooper said:
Firefox said:
Anybody know where I can get a Zipit Z2 from in the UK? I wouldn't mind having a bit of a code for it.

Hi Firefox,

I`ve looked everywhere over the last 4 or 5 days for any indication or link of someone selling the Zipit Z2 in the UK, And nothing. I did find someone on the UK ebay site selling these, But info on the auction page said they will only take orders via their website http://www.myzipitwireless.com/index.phpMy link.

I bit the bullet a ordered one from them about an hour ago, After first doing some more searching (to no avail), As i have been really interested in getting on of these since finding out about them.

Shipping was just shy of £20, But i suppose that`s the price you pay if you really want something (Obviously within reason).
Will let you know if i get stung by import charges, once i receive it, If you are interested.

Trooper

The original one I ordered last year never turned up. I think it was lost in customs or something...?

Hunter Davis sent me one he bricked, but I need a level converter or something in order to console into it. Been a long time since i've done electronics.

ashdjones said:
trooper said:
Firefox said:

Hi Firefox,

Trooper

The original one I ordered last year never turned up. I think it was lost in customs or something...?

Hunter Davis sent me one he bricked, but I need a level converter or something in order to console into it. Been a long time since i've done electronics.

Did you get a refund ?. It`s just that i am getting a tiny bit worried, As i have been given a consignment (tracking) number on the 14th feb, And have been tracking it over the last week or so. The thing is, It`s been sitting in UK customs for the last 5 days without a single update. And the thought of them sniffing around a putting their grubby hands all over my package, Is really starting to bug me. How long does it take them to check a parcel that is probably not much bigger than a mobile phone box ?, It`s not that it contains contraband or anything. An even worse thought, Is that they could be gearing me up for a nice big fat juicy customs bill, Which i bloody hope they won`t. I WANT MY PACKAGE.

I know it hasn`t been that long, And i have ordered loads of stuff from abroad which has taken a damned sight longer to arrive, But having the information in front of me (via the tracking number) of it`s exact location, And there not being an update for 5 days, Knowing there is not a lot i can do at the moment, Is starting to piss me off.

Trooper

I hate to fear the worst, but what if somebody there took it?

Yay, There has actually been an update, It has finally been released from the clutches of the dreaded UK customs. :)

But, UPS have made an attempted delivery to my address at 05:26 am :blink: , Excuse my language, But who the fuck
makes a delivery at 05:26 in the morning ?. Well, You can safely say, Yes, I missed that delivery attempt, And only
knew they had actually made an attempt because of the on-line tracking info. Because they did not have the decency
to leave a calling card, Grrrrr. So, What the hell do i do now ?. Sit and wait for another early morning failed delivery ?,
Not on your nelly, I guess i have only one choice, Sit on the phone for a few hours being diverted here there and everywhere.

Oh well, Going to bite the bullet i suppose. :rolleyes:

Trooper

If you're willing to... intercept a truck, as it were, you can ask for your package there (I think) or at the UPS Store.

Back