What About Freebsd?

simias

Still Fresh
Hello everybody,

I'm considering buying a gp2x soon and I was wondering if it'll be easy to interface it with my main freeBSD box.

I read this whole section and was pleased to see linux support seems good, so there are good chances it'll work
quite fine with BSD. However, something is still mysterious to me: the usb networking. If I understand correctly,
it works by creating a pseudo network interface which takes the IP packets (or maybe it's even at the ethernet layer?)
and "tunnels" them through the usb.

If my assumptions are corrects, does it mean there is a standard way to do IP over USB (or ethernet over USB),
or it's a GP2X only protocol ? If it's the latter, it'll probably mean I'll have to do a driver by myself, which is quite... annoying.
If it's standard, there are chances it might already be supported in freeBSD.

Could someone clarify this topic for me? And by any chances, do you have already tried to interface your GP2X with
a freeBSD box?

P.S.: please excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker...

--
Simias

First - no need to be insecure, your English is excellent; don't bother appending any apologies for it :)

The toolsets buld fine on FreeBSD.

I didn't try any USB tunnelling tricks; I imagine they should be doable, but its been years since I looked into it.

jeff

(I dev for a lot of devices, and in the end fall back on a faster card eject/insert cycle :p)

usb networking only works on the F100's. The F200's replace the usb controller chip with a sd reader chip. To get any kind of usb functionality on the F200, you need a cradle. If you want usb networking on the f200, you need a usb ethernet dongle.

But yeah, the usb networking is built into Linux and Windows and a few other os's. It's not a GPH specific thing. It would be far too clever an idea for them to think of (and especially implement on there own - it would never work).

Thank you for your quick replies, I think I'll mainly rely on the "eject/insert cycle" too.

I'm done building arm-linux-gnu gcc4 crosscompiler and I'm ready for when my gp2x will be delivered.

Thanks again,
--
Simias

Actually...

I got a F200 and the cradle few weeks ago. I haven't been able to make use of USB feature of it thought. It won't recognize my Logitech USB joystick.

If you any of you know anything about it, it woudl help me out a lot.

Torokun said:
Actually...

I got a F200 and the cradle few weeks ago. I haven't been able to make use of USB feature of it thought. It won't recognize my Logitech USB joystick.

If you any of you know anything about it, it woudl help me out a lot.
Did you go into the settings page and change the "USB Host" to on ? Also, try loading picodrive - it will tell you if it has detected a joypad

Last edited by a moderator:
Back