Watara Supervision emulator.. with colors.

scaramouche

Website
www.mondomorbo.net
About 70 exclusive games... some of them very fun. An unique retrostyle and a good piece of history among the handhelds: the Watara Supervision was not only the most serious Game Boy DMG-01 competitor but the first handheld with TV OUT capabilities.

Games are in fact in color , but the Watara screen is monochromatic . So you can see the games in color in your TV using the TV LINK accessory.. There is only one emulator: POTATOR. It doesn´t work in the GP2X , it doesn´t work in any portable handheld i know.

May be interesting to port to Pandora with the capabilities to play the games monochromatic or in color like in TV OUT mode.That may be the very interesting part that only the Pandora should be able to do (same as the Virtual Boy emulator were we can see in 3d in the Panda) Source codes here:

http://potator.sourceforge.net/

If any developer want to work on the POTATOR 4 PANDORA, i can contribute with graphics and some money to the project if necessary. Also i have some Watara units in case developer need it.

The retro look of the watara games runing on a tv in colors can´t be described :)

Personally i wasnt a fan of gameboy style graphics and find it hard to play much further back than say the amiga megadrive or c64 era. Still though the more emulators i can get my hands on the better.

the Watara Supervision was not only the most serious Game Boy DMG-01 competitor

Am I seriously reading this. It's like you live in some marginally parallel universe where the Gamegear or even the Atari Lynx never happend

I managed to play some Supervision games on my Macbook Pro in MESS, and...i'd be hard-pressed to find one game that stood out as a killer app. And I was really looking.

I've got three Supervisions. The display is very bad, so the emulator would be great :)

I liked playing SSSSnake and Pang on it, my friend had one, pretty nice hand held, emulator would be appreciated! :)

I think I had a go at compiling the source for Pandora a while ago and didn't get very far... I find that a lot with emulators... I'll stick to games and game engine ports I guess.

never heard of this machine, what were the specs really interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
never heard of this machine, what were the specs really interested?
There's some info on that here.

Interestingly, the SuperVision (marketed in the UK by Quickshot, who were better known for joysticks and other peripherals) got some heavy promotion on the popular video games show (shown during the most popular kids' TV block of the day), Bad Influence, both on TV and in promotional photos for the series.

the Watara Supervision was not only the most serious Game Boy DMG-01 competitor

Am I seriously reading this. It's like you live in some marginally parallel universe where the Gamegear or even the Atari Lynx never happend

Exo:. don´t misunderstood me . Will explain .

Atary Lynx was not a GAME BOY competitor in terms you can´t compare both consoles.

So, the early 90´s had 2 groups of portable consoles , very different one from the other:

- The monochromatic ones ( Game Boy and, all the GAME BOY SPECIFIC COMPETITORS, this is.. consoles that PRETEND TO BE AS GAME BOY not BETTER than Game Boy. You can find here: Game Master, Watara Supervision, Game Plus, Gamate, Mega Duck/Cougar Boy and some others. Between all these monochromatic consoles with 4 AA batteries, the only SERIOUS competitor was the WATARA that used to have a limited success)

- The color and lighted ones ( Atari Lynx, Turboexpress / Pc Engine GT , Game Gear, later the Sega Nomad. All these can´t be compared to Game Boy, are another world in fact. Less power autonomy, bigger sizes , light screen, usually 16 bits color, etc.)

So you can{t compare lemons with onions,you can say lemons sells more than onions but one thing is not related with the other. You can say "i prefer a lemon than an orange" or " i prefer onion instead of garlic"

But if you see the portable consoles history you will see that even from a marketing point of view the Lynx or Game Gear were competing with the Game Boy DMG-001, these consoles belongs to a full different family than appeared on that same time.

Got the point? More info enter http://consolasportatiles.info , you can search any model of portable handheld from that era. I toke pictures of all of these, boxed and are all here in my Playroom . :)

E.D. : from the called "game boy competitors" ( in terms of similar features) the best screen so long is the Mega Duck, specially the one launched by Hartung in Germany. In fact it looks even better than the DMG-001 screen. Unfortunately no sense to make an emulator as long all the MegaDuck games were launched by Sachem in Game Boy multicarts , so you can play the full MegaDuck (or near the full) catalog at any GameBoy emulator just searching the Sachem titles (Artic Zone, Magic Tower, etc) Watara has a bad ghosting yes, but the Magnum model (the last one they launched) is a little better. (there are basically three hardware models , developed for tons of brands)

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back