Was This Ahead Of Its Time Or What?

Alex.

Retired
SEGA Nomad

Portable 16-bit handheld, with TV-out, port for second controller, 3" backlit screen (finer pixels than our beloved GP's). Wow, Nintendo was really behind these guys tech-wise, it makes me even sadder that Sega is no longer on of the VG giants.

yep, but this was even better.
systemsturboexpress.gif

at the time this came out it used the same game cards as the TG-16 and had a tv-tuner. The Nomad is a good system, but not original, just added some fancier options, but the Turbo Express was first, both ate batteries like you wouldn't believe.

Alex. posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
SEGA Nomad

Portable 16-bit handheld, with TV-out, port for second controller, 3" backlit screen (finer pixels than our beloved GP's). Wow, Nintendo was really behind these guys tech-wise, it makes me even sadder that Sega is no longer on of the VG giants.

Trust me - the GP2X Display is much better than the Nomad Display.
The Nomad is a monster - it's big, heavy and eats batteries faster than a gamegear. The Gamboy Color kicked his ass because it's more portable - you can't take a Nomad with you everytime. PSP anyone? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nomad ate batteries like Kojak ate lollypops.

SatanClaus posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
Alex. posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
SEGA Nomad

Trust me - the GP2X Display is much better than the Nomad Display.
The Nomad is a monster - it's big, heavy and eats batteries faster than a gamegear. The Gamboy Color kicked his ass because it's more portable - you can't take a Nomad with you everytime. PSP anyone? ;)

god you idiots the PSP is not that big, the DS is as wide as the PSP but nobody bitches about that. god.

Angel posted on Dec 20 2005 at 11:35 AM said:
yep, but this was even better.
systemsturboexpress.gif

at the time this came out it used the same game cards as the TG-16 and had a tv-tuner. The Nomad is a good system, but not original, just added some fancier options, but the Turbo Express was first, both ate batteries like you wouldn't believe.
Yea I have to say this little bad boy is the shit. The graphics kick ass like you wouldnt believe, and the tuner is just fucking awesome in every way. I actually still USE the tuner like a portable TV. It's that good.

The nomad was pretty cool I admit, but imo the turbo express is the tops in the handheld department of old skool

I'd have to agree with daclassicgamingmaster. Turbo express was ahead of its time.
Nomad was great, but not ahead of its time. It was damn cheap for what you were getting at the time though, IMO.
Its not that Nintendo was behind the times with the gameboy, its that they didnt feel the need for anything better. Nintendo chose size/weight and battery life over tech specs.

Now if the nomad was a liittttle smaller and had better battery life, then it would have been ahead of its time :)

grahf posted on Dec 20 2005 at 04:51 PM said:
I'd have to agree with daclassicgamingmaster. Turbo express was ahead of its time.
Nomad was great, but not ahead of its time. It was damn cheap for what you were getting at the time though, IMO.
Its not that Nintendo was behind the times with the gameboy, its that they didnt feel the need for anything better. Nintendo chose size/weight and battery life over tech specs.

Now if the nomad was a liittttle smaller and had better battery life, then it would have been ahead of its time :)
nintendo could have done many things better with the GB. Neo Geo Pocket Color was amazing compared to the nintendo competition, but it flopped for whatever reason. Just making the point that nintendo could have done better and REALLY knocked the socks off of gamers

beanfarmer posted on Dec 21 2005 at 04:35 AM said:
no 1 bitches bout the nds coz its origanal :D + the psp is a monster
bah... I have both and they are cooltastic... the only problem is games.

NDS original? You obviously know nothing about video game history. The NDS is almost the same design as some game and watch dedicated systems from the early 80's. hardly original.

game-watch.jpg

Angel posted on Dec 21 2005 at 01:23 PM said:

NDS original? You obviously know nothing about video game history. The NDS is almost the same design as some game and watch dedicated systems from the early 80's. hardly original.

game-watch.jpg

Ah yes! Such Memories. Donkey Kong II in the jungle, and the Mario Bros packaging game that opened the other way....

nintendo could have done many things better with the GB. Neo Geo Pocket Color was amazing compared to the nintendo competition, but it flopped for whatever reason. Just making the point that nintendo could have done better and REALLY knocked the socks off of gamers

I remember seeing the NGPC at my local GameGallery (whatever happened to them?) when it was first out. All the guys at the store seemed to love it, but there was a real lack of titles.. I'll add one to my collection one day.

grahf posted on Dec 21 2005 at 12:50 PM said:

I remember seeing the NGPC at my local GameGallery (whatever happened to them?) when it was first out. All the guys at the store seemed to love it, but there was a real lack of titles.. I'll add one to my collection one day.
yea IMO the hardware was so much more superior to the GB pocket or color. I guess the lack of titles was the reason it flopped :(

edit: typos

I was always intrigued by the NGPC, but I never picked one up. Suppose a lot of people did the same.

I don't know if the Nomad was ahead of its time. All I know is Sega was always really good at naming their consoles. Seriously, I wish other companies were as creative.

the sale of SNK helped kill the Neo Geo pocket. and amazingly the AES, most people don't realise the AES was still a commercial system until 2004 with the final cart game released being Samurai spirits 5 and Metal slug 5. Quite impressive for a system that had its beginnings back in the 16-bit era and could still perform 2d games as well as alot of newer systems.

Back