GP2X Vram Allocation In Hardware-accelerated Sdl

Epicenter

Website
www.epicgaming.us or http
What is the feasibility of the maximum quantity of 'VRAM' usable for storage of hardware surfaces in Paeryn's SDL implementation being increased beyond 5 MB? I recall him saying at one point there was another 3 MB that could be utilized, but never heard that anything came of it. Are there no other parts of the 940T's 32MB that can be paved over? I do not intend to utilize the 940T in the game engine I am developing; maximum space for hardware surfaces to enable as much of the graphics set to be hardware-blitted is a far more valuable asset.

Also, what is the current status of compatibility with USB Gamepads? I know USB mice and keyboards are in the works, but until I have installed a D-Pad in my machine I'd prefer to use a high-quality USB gamepad over the stick.

Thanks for any new information and keep up the excellent work.

I'm putting USB joysticks in at the moment. I just came on to look for how to get nfs mounts over the USB (fed up of card swapping.)
I'm going to update the memory manager too to allow programs to tell SDL what memory ranges are free to use for gfx, mainly you'll use it to give SDL access to the first 16MB of upper memory as Linux uses certain areas of the highest 16MB for DMA buffers.

paeryn posted on May 6 2006 at 07:10 AM said:
I'm putting USB joysticks in at the moment. I just came on to look for how to get nfs mounts over the USB (fed up of card swapping.)
I'm going to update the memory manager too to allow programs to tell SDL what memory ranges are free to use for gfx, mainly you'll use it to give SDL access to the first 16MB of upper memory as Linux uses certain areas of the highest 16MB for DMA buffers.
Do we know what areas of the upper memory are used by linux and for what purposes?

Last edited by a moderator:
All of that 16MB will be usable for Hardware surfaces? Or am I mistaken? If that is true, this could allow some pretty remarkable things to work out in development of my engine-- 5 MB was looking cramped. Excellent news- keep up the great work.

Back