Vlc And Other Goodies?

Quite often, I do. :p The reason is because it's quicker - I put my disc in, I'm prompted as to what I want to do with it, I choose to rip it, and that's it. No messing around.

Sometimes I'll rip with Handbrake, but that takes longer, since I have to put in the disc, scan the contents, choose which title I want to rip, select what video format I want to use, choose which encoder I wish to use for it, and adjust sound and picture settings, before giving it the go ahead.

Yeah, if I had the hard-drive space I would never convert videos. By definition, video encoding will decrease the video quality. So why not leave it in the original format, inside an ISO?

fearofshorts said:
Yeah, if I had the hard-drive space I would never convert videos. By definition, video encoding will decrease the video quality. So why not leave it in the original format, inside an ISO?

There is a such thing as lossless encoding, you know...

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
fearofshorts said:

-God Ginrai
But losslessly encoding an already-compressed file (for DVD, it's MPEG-2) will just cause the file size to increase.

Am I the only one to have pixelated video with VLC compared to MPC? For instance
VLC: http://imgur.com/0eUMZ.png
MPC-HC: http://imgur.com/lf5dq.jpg
You might lose a tiny bit of detail, but pixelation is incredibly distracting. None of the VLC filters are as good as MPC's.

Tom` said:
God Ginrai said:
fearofshorts said:

-God Ginrai
But losslessly encoding an already-compressed file (for DVD, it's MPEG-2) will just cause the file size to increase.

Yes, obviously. However, it should be essentially lossless if he just rips the video to the same format, shouldn't it?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Tom` said:
God Ginrai said:
fearofshorts said:

-God Ginrai

Yes, obviously. However, it should be essentially lossless if he just rips the video to the same format, shouldn't it?

-God Ginrai
As long as he's not re-encoding it, yes. In that case you might as well just rip the VIDEO_TS directory and play that directly (VLC should be able to do this). I guess if there are players that'll play VOBs but not .iso files, this would be useful.

Back