Vga Out

Fishbong said:
But what´s this part about video input i read earlier? Does that mean that we could use the Pandora as a VCR too?
Pandora doesn't have video input, but you could do video input via usb if someone wrote a driver...

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
Pandora as a VCR? Come on! How low can you go? ;)
It's the single most useful function on my Archos PMA430. I hook it up to an old VCR (using it as a tuner) and record all the stuff I want to watch at leisure.

Unfortunately, the PMA suffers from a seriously buggy and underdeveloped recording scheduler (and is completely abandoned by Archos, who found a better business model in letting their customers pay separately for the on/off switch), as well as a slightly low resolution (max 512x384, which is only marginally better than that VCR it is connected to).

As I wrote in another thread, if someone were to write a driver for USB TV tuners, the Pandora would make for a nice, one step solution, "offline TV viewer". There are alternatives, such as SanDisk's V-Mate and -- of course -- MythTV, but they require additional hardware and more user hassle.

Karel Jansens said:
-- of course -- MythTV, but they require additional hardware and more user hassle.
All you need is the frontend, it would more realistic to run the tuners and backend on a decicated machine.

Squidge- you said that vga will not be possible without extra circuitry. Will we have access to the video lines to be able to create an external vga/dvi adapter circuit, or would some kind of hacking be needed?

Goobers said:
Squidge- you said that vga will not be possible without extra circuitry. Will we have access to the video lines to be able to create an external vga/dvi adapter circuit, or would some kind of hacking be needed?
It is quite the hack job to get VGA/DVI for sure. You need to tap into the 5V USB power since part of the link has a 5V output. This means software might need to limit host power capability if external video is on. I'm not sure exactly how much power is used by this supply.

You also need another power supply to provide the analog supply for the converter chip. You could probably take the one from the unpopulated expansion connector going into the Pandora (another hacker's bonus). You will also need a couple of GPIO's and an I2C port from the expansion connector. There are converter chips that support 1.8V logic so all you need there is a wire that connects to a capacitor pad supplying 1.8V.

Finally, the big problem is that you will have to use a new flex cable to intercept the LCD signals and connect to a little board with the DVI components on it and then pass them back to the cable going to Pandora's LCD. The last step is to find a way to make that big VGA/DVI connector accessible somewhere outside of the system and sturdy.

Personally, I hope we can get a linux driver for a USB dongle VGA adapter for those who absolutely need to use a portable gaming and mobile internet device as a desktop :)

well, that doesn't sound like it would be very hard to integrate into the design? whats the actual problem? PCB complexity or the price of the components?
If its just the components why not just leave them off but allow the user to solder em in place.

or maybe just put all the needed signals on some pads, thou a connector for a later premade-userfriendly extension would be nice.

also it would be nice if you could put vias under all unused balls of the bga.

MWeston said:
Personally, I hope we can get a linux driver for a USB dongle VGA adapter for those who absolutely need to use a portable gaming and mobile internet device as a desktop :)
Though I have no need for it myself, this does sound like it could be useful to some people. I know nothing about drivers, but a google search came up with this page, which is probably a good place to start.

Vimacs said:
well, that doesn't sound like it would be very hard to integrate into the design? whats the actual problem?
Exactly as listed above.

Vimacs said:
also it would be nice if you could put vias under all unused balls of the bga.
Not a problem in itself, but if you want the via's usable after production, it's a lot more complicated. This isn't just a 2-layer board design. Your not going to see the via's when you look at the bottom of the board.

Though I have no need for it myself, this does sound like it could be useful to some people. I know nothing about drivers, but a google search came up with this page, which is probably a good place to start.

Interesting. It looks like it would be a slow process, but then again, vga through usb always will be.

Back