GP2X Using Ms' Device Emulator To Get A Virtual Gp2x?

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
I'm no Microsoft user (haven't touched a Microsoft product in 10 years), but I saw this today and wondered if it wouldn't be useful for you M$ folks to get a workable "GP2X Emulator" running on yer PC's:

http://blogs.msdn.com/barrybo/archive/2006/07/17/668492.aspx

Anyone got a clue about it, tried it, had a look at the source, seen what it would take? Seems quite interesting to me, particularly the ARM->x86 JIT..

torpor posted on Jul 18 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
I'm no Microsoft user (haven't touched a Microsoft product in 10 years), but I saw this today and wondered if it wouldn't be useful for you M$ folks to get a workable "GP2X Emulator" running on yer PC's:

http://blogs.msdn.com/barrybo/archive/2006/07/17/668492.aspx

Anyone got a clue about it, tried it, had a look at the source, seen what it would take? Seems quite interesting to me, particularly the ARM->x86 JIT..

Wow, that's awesome, thanks for the link. For just emulating a single CPU it probably wouldn't be that much of a deal. The framebuffer is coincidentally at the same address as the physical one in the GP2x, I believe, so for just testing stuff out it should be ideal.

If you wanted to get two CPUs up, especially synchronised on the same clock, then that gets a whole lot more problematic (as does the implementation of the other chips, etc).

I'll have a (much) better poke when I have time.

Balls. You cannot legally use this for a GP2x emulator. The license states:
(B)Platform Limitation- The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B) extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product.Further, you may only use the software to emulate running Windows operating system products.

Actually their whole license isn't very friendly towards your average geek. :'(
If I'm reading it right then as I'm not a student then I'm not allowed to use it either:
“Academic purposes” means non-commercial teaching, research, and personal experimentation while attending or employed by an accredited educational institution. Academic purposes expressly excludes commercial uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back