@UK Residents: Know a good Hotel between Glasgow - Loch Ness ?

thatgui

Advanced Member
Hello,

my wife and I will make a weekend trip to UK in May. We're planning a trip to Loch Ness, starting at Glasgow Airport. But we still have no clue where to stay for the two nights.

Anyone has an idea for a nice hotel which isn't that expensive, that lies somewhere between Glasgow and Loch Ness (the nearer to Loch Ness the better) ?

interesting question, I always wanted to do a trip with my familly to see nessy...

I'd suggest going right past Loch Ness and staying in Inverness where you shouldn't have a problem getting a hotel at a reasonable rate, I would imagine accommodation in the various villages along the length of the Loch would be a tad pricey. Fort William would also be a good bet if you don't want to head too far north but is a bit further away from the loch. Just to give you an idea, Fort William -> Fort Augustus on the southern end of the loch is around 30 miles, whereas Inverness -> Drumnadrochit (Loch ness exhibition centre) is about 15 miles. Drumnadrochit -> Fort Augustus I'd say is around 20 miles.

I can't really recommend any specific hotel, I used to live close enough for a day trip. hope you have a great time!

I'd suggest going right past Loch Ness and staying in Inverness where you shouldn't have a problem getting a hotel at a reasonable rate, I would imagine accommodation in the various villages along the length of the Loch would be a tad pricey. Fort William would also be a good bet if you don't want to head too far north but is a bit further away from the loch. Just to give you an idea, Fort William -> Fort Augustus on the southern end of the loch is around 30 miles, whereas Inverness -> Drumnadrochit (Loch ness exhibition centre) is about 15 miles. Drumnadrochit -> Fort Augustus I'd say is around 20 miles.

I can't really recommend any specific hotel, I used to live close enough for a day trip. hope you have a great time!
Inverness is a little bit too far north I'm afraid, we have only two days, and I don't wanna stay in the car the whole time.

Fort Williams seems like a really good place to start with if, but at least in the area hotels aren't very "inexpensive" (or if their books are already full).

http://www.devere-ho...troduction.html

Really nice but pricey. It's Loch Lomond, which is at the Glasgow end of the A82 (one of the best drives in the UK - Glen Coe to Fort William is amazing)

As gunni said Fort William is a good bet. Good connections to the Western Isles, Loch Ness, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond (far prettier than Loch Ness) and Glasgow.
Loch Lochmond looks also very nice, maybe that wil be sufficient. I have no real desire to visit loch ness, just wanna cross of "see the highlands with your own eyes" from my "things I should have done in my live" list.

Btw. what are the typical rates for hotel rooms (nothing fancy, but maybe a tad more that just clean,dry and warm) to expect in this areas ? In Germany you'll get a decent room for maybe 50-70€ / night, but rates seem higher in UK (?)

Edit: totally forgot, thanks to both of you, that really gave me a good start where to look. And also to MarioPandio, the link will surely be usefull

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I can't suggest anything hotels-wise, but I would like to say that if you can get to Loch Ness, it's well worth taking the boat tour out onto it, as it's fantastic. Unfortunately, you generally have to book in advance, in my experience, though...

should mention, if you go with Fort William, the Nevis Range gondola can provide some stunning views of the area and of course of the neighbouring Ben Nevis :)

Loch Ness is really boring, Loch Lomond kicks asses! ;-)

Only the Urquhart Castle (at Loch Ness) is some kind of special.

should mention, if you go with Fort William, the Nevis Range gondola can provide some stunning views of the area and of course of the neighbouring Ben Nevis :)
Fort Williams is still on the list, altough I couldn't find any hotel / bed & breakfast in an affordable price range <_<

Loch Ness is really boring, Loch Lomond kicks asses! ;-)

Only the Urquhart Castle (at Loch Ness) is some kind of special.
Why does Loch Lochmond kick behinds and Loch Ness not ?

^ Well, Loch Lomond was in SpaceBalls as one of the transporter buttons that reversed President Scroobs head so he realised his ass was so big, whilst Loch Ness only has Water Kelpies and very very large eels.

you might want to check out Newtonmore or Kingussie, you might be able to find something at a good price there. They are two villages south of, and cheaper than, the popular resort of Aviemore in the Cairngorms national park. This page is a good start for checking out the area and this one is pretty good too.

We found a cosy little place in Tarbet near Loch Lochmond.

So thanks to all (but especially gunni) for the help !

I'm really sorry I did t see this thread earlier. A very good friend of mine now lives on the shores of loch ness in the old water keeper office. This was the guy who was on Arthur c Clarke's world of mystery programme and claimed to have seen gneiss monster numerous times. Last time we went up we stayed down the road I. Invergarry I think. You will need to book the boat trip and expect tourist prices and lots of tourists in the season with next to nothing outside of then.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

To bring this up to a round figure:

We stayed at the "glebe country house" in Tarbet, which was located rougly 250m away from Loch Lomond. It had a lovely view on the loch, and Bernadette - the owner/hostess was a really nice person, which made us yummy scottish breakfast (porridge with whisky and raisins), and had a lot of great tipps on what to do/see up her sleeve.

We took a boat tour on Loch Lomond (but sadly missed the opportunity to leave the ship on the other side of the Loch to take a walk there), and made a short trip to Helensburgh to buy some groceries. The Next day we drove the A82 up northwest to Glencoe, and stopped various times just to enoy the very, very beautiful landscape. After taking a walk around an old quarry, and having barbecue on a big pile of roof slate, we decided to get back to the hotel. We originally planned to drive up to Fort William - has to wait for our second visit.

All in all it was a very, very, very nice trip which we both enjoyed a lot!

The only downside, was the driving. The roads in Scotland are in a bad shape, really narrow, and to top that often have small stonewalls besides them. I also had a lot of problems adjusting to Left-hand driving - surprisingly not driving on the "wrong" side, but shifting with the left hand, and the change of perspective (escpecially when parking in reverse).

But this was completly made up by the Scots which always where very friendly, kind and helpfull.

cakewalk ;)

with no opposing traffic at all

But throw in some big trucks or tourists in big caravans, which also have problems adjusting and some bad shit crazy cyclist which speed up to 70-80 kph downhill as icing on the cake, and you start squeezing the steering wheel like you where trying to make some orange juice (locals excluded of course). Oh and don't forget the locals that are constantly trying to pass by, because you're only excessing the speed limit by 10 mph :wacko:

Back