GP32 Trouble With Sdl

Rockin'-B

Still Fresh
Hey folks,

I'm trying to get my GBAX 2005 entry fished untill tuesday.
It's a SDL game that is proven to run without problems on other platforms,
so this stuff is GP32 specific.

1: color depth
What's the prefered color depth for images? I saw some demos that use 8 (palettet).
On the GP32 screen (and even more on GeePee32) the colors are a little wrong converted, especially when using 16 bit color depth.
I pass 0 bits per pixel to SDL_SetVideoSurface. This would create a 16 bits per pixel screen, right?

2: audio playback
Playback of wav audio seems impossible with SDL, but it works when using SDL_mixer.
The drawback is the memory overhead of the library.
My "SDL only" audio routines work on Windows and MacOS X.
Could it be a known bug in GP32-SDL?

3: memory problems
I had some strange problems at the begining, but after converting some of my images to indexed/palettet it worked.
Now that I had to use SDL_mixer, the GP32 reboots after/while loading the last of my images.
Does b2fxec consume additional memory?
There are 8MB work RAM, this should be anough for my app....

Rockin posted on May 27 2005 at 08:33 AM said:

Yes, but no more than 10-20k, and i suppose they are free after the app uncompress.

Aiken

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of space the B2FXEC decompressor takes up is less than the amount of space you save, so it doesn't matter. Also the entire decompressor is freed from memory after your program is decompressed. (I know this for sure, unlike Aiken :p)

3: memory problems
I had some strange problems at the begining, but after converting some of my images to indexed/palettet it worked.
Now that I had to use SDL_mixer, the GP32 reboots after/while loading the last of my images.
There are 8MB work RAM, this should be anough for my app....

I used DCFreeDev and it contains an old SDL version. Replacing it with sdl-gp32 beta3 works without reboot.

Sound playing still only works for me using SDL_mixer, but that's no problem anymore.
Some GFX problems seem to be gone, too.

Looks like I'm gonna make it untill GBAX closes. :D

1: color depth
What's the prefered color depth for images? I saw some demos that use 8 (palettet).
On the GP32 screen (and even more on GeePee32) the colors are a little wrong converted, especially when using 16 bit color depth.
I pass 0 bits per pixel to SDL_SetVideoSurface. This would create a 16 bits per pixel screen, right?
From my experience the by far best option for full screen backgrounds is

- SDL_SetVideoMode with 16 bpp
- and paletted/indexed bmp images, converted from RGB to indexed with mode "positioned"(not Floyd-Steinberg) (refers to The Gimp)

-> smaller size, faster loading
-> fine display

Back