Total Newbie Gp32 Problem - Free Launcher Related

Stiffy

Still Fresh
Hi.

This weekend I managed to find a GP32 for £1 at a Car Boot Sale here in the UK.
Having snapped it up I now have a few 'problems' which I am keen to resolve so I can play some emulators on the beast.
The 128meg SMC card with the device was blank so I have reformatted it (using a tool) so the GP32 recognises it correctly.
There is a small button on the rear of the unit which does nothing so I guess this is for a light and perhaps that is broken ?
The model number is GP32-001 if that helps at all.
All I get when I turn it on is the Orange screen with the MP3, Game and USB options to select - pretty standard stuff it seems.

The big problem which I have is that I did not get a USB cable with it and from researching on these forums and the net, I haven't found any advice on how to install Free Launcher without using a USB cable.
I do have a card reader so that would be the obvious way to go but can anyone point me in the direction of a way to install Free Launcher directly onto the SMC card, and not by using the USB cable ?

Alternatively can anyone tell me a source (ideally in the UK) where I can buy or make or whatever a USB cable for it ?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help... :)

Seems to be a FLU (=Front Light Unit) with broken lights. Before trying to get ahold of a cable, try to hold the select button while turning it on. There were certain firmwares that could set a default firmware, yet allowed to choose which one to use on boot. If it works and you can select stuff like pacrom, you're all set. If not, you'll need a cable. I remember Orkie bought an adapter from standard usb-cable to the gp32 thing at dealextreme.com, and atm it seems like they have something similar (no guarantees though) on their site, sold-out though: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.585

Good luck!

Hi.

Very many thanks to both of you for your replies.

Amazingly the 'hold select' thing worked and it seems I have a Mr Spiv Boot Selector thing installed.

I have choen Pacrom and am now fiddling with the emulators exactly as I planned.

You guys rock :)

Stiffy said:
Hi.

Amazingly the 'hold select' thing worked and it seems I have a Mr Spiv Boot Selector thing installed.

I have choen Pacrom and am now fiddling with the emulators exactly as I planned.

Hi, nice to see you got a cheap GP32 too :D
Question - which drivers / pc link tools do you use? I've tried a few and no luck :(
Edit: I seem to have the Mr. Spiv firmware launcher too, if that helps
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora said:
Stiffy said:
Hi.

Hi, nice to see you got a cheap GP32 too :D
Question - which drivers / pc link tools do you use? I've tried a few and no luck :(
Edit: I seem to have the Mr. Spiv firmware launcher too, if that helps
Thanks

If you have a hacked firmware (which you seem to have), You don`t need to copy stuff over to the GP32 via a cable or use any pc-link tools. Just copy what you need to the smc via a card reader, Shove the smc into your GP32, And you should be good to go. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again.

Thanks for all the replies - you guys know your stuff really well !

I am indeed just using the card reader/writer now and have put Mame on it.

My next puzzler is why so many of the Mame games which 'should' work according to the gamelist.txt, actually do not run.

I assume they have the wrong roms in the zips ?

Also I really need to get the light working on this sucker because unless I'm outside or under a nice bright lamp, its really hard to see the screen.

Does anyone have any tips on fixing a broken light ? Or should I just dive in and try to see any problem ?

Final thing - anyone ever made a battery compartment lid or know where I can buy one from because that was missing... I should've only paid them 75p for it I reckon ;)

Back