This Is What Us Canadian Kids Did.

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
One thing I've really enjoyed in the EMU scene is learning about the cool international games that were hits elsewhere. Namely, Sensible Soccer. I'd never heard of the game and quite frankly, wow is it fun!

So here'e my 2 cents, from wonderful Canada (and fellow canucks, back me up here)

Go play a NHL Hockey from EA on Sega Genesis/MegaDrive.

Trust us...we played a lot of video game hockey up here, and this was revolutionary. It was the first time we'd ever seen hockey with actual ice attributes (ie: players actually sliding and not stoping on a dime like Blades of Steel on NES or the like). It was also the first vertical hockey (not sideways) and hey, it had real teams! Later it even had real players!

The best of the series are arguably the '94, '95, '96 editions

Some day I'll teach about "The Cheap Goals" .. which spurred countless arguements & fistfights among friends in living rooms from PEI to British Columbia!

Have you played Hat Trick? I have it on my C64.
Great and simple game, fun if you are 2 players.
There is 1 keeper and 1 player for both players, and you control both with one joystick! Check it out. Find it on http://www.gb64.com

EA's NHL series is extremely popular in the US, particularly the Genesis versions. Me and my friends used to spend countless hours playing these games, with 94 being the undisputed king.

The game also still lives on at nhl94.com, with multiple ongoing leagues and people creating rom hacks that updates the game's rosters.

naples39 said:
The game also still lives on at nhl94.com, with multiple ongoing leagues and people creating rom hacks that updates the game's rosters.
OMG!!!!!!!! that is wicked!!!!
holy! I'm speechless.

I whole heartedly expand my "canadianism" of this (very short) review to include our american friends. Honestly, we don't know muich about your fancy "football/soccer" over there in Europe...but If you wanna talk great stuff, NHL 94...Madden football (though I'm not sure which edition is king) .. that is awesome football ... I'd love to see a Madden hack with CFL (Canadian Football League) teams!

And if we wanna talk baseball .. Genesis Triple Play Gold is the best I'be played .. though Sportstalk Baseball took up many hours of our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep i agree NHL Hockey on the Megadrive/Genesis was superb back in the mid 90's, loved it and still do, very playable.

How come you are so 'canadian-ist' ?!? I live in the UK, love american football, even watch a fair bit of the CFL as we have league coverage and enjoy seeing a lot of players i recognise in that league.

From the UK as well and remember NHL Hockey being extremely popular (one of the few sports games I enjoyed playing).

yeah but take germany... people are just right now starting to watch ice-hockey! I've seen it all back in Canada but Germans usually stuck to tennis, soccer and motorsports. So noone here is really interested in American or Canadian Football. Ice Hockey is being covered on TV lately but it's not big at all.

My Canadianist (North Americanist) isms about this game stem from a lengthy article I was reading from a UK magazine called Emulate (?)

top 100 games of all time...a VERY GOOD LIST I might add...top 5 games being
5 Phantasy Star
4 Space Invaders
3 Sensible Soccer
2 Link to the Past
1 Super Mario World

in this whole magazine, EA NHL hockey was never even hinted at. But Sensible Soccer was name-droppped every other sentance. I'd never even heard of it (and I got the Genesis the day it came out!)

I played it now, and it is total fun...but it made me wonder, how many peope out there have NEVER ahd the joy of these NHL games!

So excuse the Nationalism..it's meant more as regionalism, I guess.
(Just as I would expect Americans from Detroit, NY, NJ, Chicago, Boston etc etc to be playing this game, as opposed to those in say Kentucky, Hawaii or the Dakotas)
Mind you, a friend of mine living in Los Angeles was telling me that going to an LA game to watch the Vanouver Canucks is like watching a Vancouver home game...everyone in the audience is Canadian, living in LA)

So any takers one which Madden Football is the best?

I find 94 to be really slow. I grew up with 95, but I also enjoy the smoothness in 96

nice to see some phantasy star love in the uk though!

nowadays I really enjoy NHL '07 for PC since I can play online with elitserien teams. But no russian super league! UGH!

who's your team? I was always either Ottawa or Montreal...sometimes Quebec.
and I ONLY played against Toronto.

I have to say I always enjoyed the SNES versions of NHL but unfortunately the only one I can get to run is NHL94. I would love to get SNES NHL98 running but it just crashes on me. SNES NHL94 runs quite well on my GP2X at 266 MHz.

I agree that '94 was a bit slow and i'm also a fan of '96. We should not forget here, NHLPA '93. This year was the last with blood when a player was injured for the game or more. If anyone has seen the movie Swingers (hehe, who hasn't?!?!), they'll recognize NHLPA '93 being played on it.

edit:

oh btw, the NHL series on the Genesis were by far, my all time most played games.

Back