Things/tutorials/utilities that people have already made that should be in HF6

Located in /tmp, open with a text editor or copy to a USB-drive or something first (whatever you need to do to paste it here)
=======================================================================================

PND : /media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/menu/swaptools.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/appdata/swaptools

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : ./swapsel

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/swaptools"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/appdata/swaptools=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/swaptools=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/swaptools"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (./swapsel ) ----------

swapon: /media/1GB_SWAP/swapfile.swp: read swap header failed: Invalid argument

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application (./swapsel ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/swaptools': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

Hmm... I'll need one from creating a swapfile as well, I'm suspecting mkswap is located somewhere else (try typing /usr/sbin/mkswap in a terminal, does it find it?)

That's very odd. try to create a small swapfile (a few megabytes will do) and then paste the pndout.

PND : /media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/menu/swaptools.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/appdata/swaptools

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : ./swapsel

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/swaptools"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/32GB_PRIME/pandora/appdata/swaptools=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/swaptools=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/swaptools"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (./swapsel ) ----------

Debug: Creating swapfile /media/8GB_MICRO/swapfile.swp with size 32768 kB

32768+0 records in

32768+0 records out

33554432 bytes (34 MB) copied, 4.61243 s, 7.3 MB/s

No such file or directory

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application (./swapsel ) ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/swaptools': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

eheh... Woops, typo in a script. Updated the PND, same link. You can save your old swapfile by typing /sbin/mkswap /path/to/swapfile.swp in a terminal.

But please double-check that my fix works with a small file.

eheh... Woops, typo in a script. Updated the PND, same link. You can save your old swapfile by typing /sbin/mkswap /path/to/swapfile.swp in a terminal.

But please double-check that my fix works with a small file.

Great! Unfortunately I have to go out and will probably be gone for quite a few hours. Hopefully another member can help you out while I'm gone, outherwise I'll pm you as soon as I return. Sorry. :( *family stuff*

Ok, I'm back.

While I was out I tried the updated PND and created a small swapfile, and then recreated the large 960mb one on my MicroSD card.

Everything works perfectly! Making the swapfiles, then activating and deactivating them was as easy as 1 2 3.

I also really like the little notification bubble that you added.

If I were to make any suggestions: Is it possible to have that notification bubble stay up until the swapfile has finished being made? And to add a warning along the lines of 'Please don't remove the media that the swapfile is being written to.'

I know I know... but we are trying to make the Pandora as newb friendly as possible right? :)

When I was trying to make a swapfile on my own, I read that setting the swappiness of the file can affect performance. (I can't remember if it was a setting you adjust elsewhere, or something you set when making the file)

Any way of adding that functionality to your program?

Even without any further changes I think this little program is fantastic - I really hope to see it included in Hotfix 6! Well done!

ED? :D

Swapiness is by default -1, which should mean "swap as a last resort". I think that will do fine.

My pandora is currently on RMA, so I can't develop it without using this very cumbersome method of making small changes, upload, wait for feedback, repeat. I guess I could add that little warning to the notification.

Back