The Giz In Comet

ste_167

Website
Visit site
I picked one up the other day to add to my collection. It's smaller than I'd expected, and a solid build despite a thumb-acher of a joypad. You can run TomTom on it too, although the built-in GPS seems a bit hit and miss. Apparently, if I stand in field holding it with my arms to the air it will get a better 'fix'. I'm not *that* desperate yet though..

The graphics aren't quite as snazzy as some pre-release hype shots suggest, but SSX3 is still fun to play despite the hideous pop-up and less than amazing polygon count. The unreleased Chicane seems reasonably hi-res on the screen and is probably the prettiest game I've tried; the framerate does seem sub-30fps though.

Anyone else tempted? A newly Reesy-ported Squidgesnes to tinker with..?

The graphics and gameplay from some of the other releases are more impressive, I think. The Golf game's surprisingly fun (for me), and I was impressed by Richard Burns Rally graphically too (but not so much for gameplay). Trailblazer plays well and is visually appealing, as are Sticky Balls and Super Drop Mania.

ste_167 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
Thank you. I'll let you into a little secret..

*Just For Men.. shhh...*

I'm a guy. :huh: Obviously, not everyone uses their likeness as avatar. :p

Critical would be rather scary... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 08:28 PM said:
ste_167 posted on Sep 13 2006 at 06:42 PM said:
Thank you. I'll let you into a little secret..

*Just For Men.. shhh...*
I'm a guy. :huh: Obviously, not everyone uses their likeness as avatar. :p
Specific national reference: "Just For Men" is a brand of hair dye that men use to cover the signs of greyness that come with age ;) I think it's probably only marketed in the UK and US as that.

Critical would be rather scary... :eek:
Oh, you haven't seen the real me.

critical - any tips to get more accurate fixes with the GPS? Mine can often be up to 100ft out!

Do you see the Gizmondo being able to better the GP2X at any point, in terms of emulation speeds?

Edit edit. I referred to it as 'the Giz' again.. I'm beginning to sound rather stupid..

ste_167 posted on Sep 14 2006 at 11:48 AM said:
critical - any tips to get more accurate fixes with the GPS? Mine can often be up to 100ft out!

Do you see the Gizmondo being able to better the GP2X at any point, in terms of emulation speeds?
I don't use the Gizmondo for GPS - I have a better system (touchscreen). The people who do are on gizmondoforums.com... there are many threads on the subject there.

Which emulators are slower on the Gizmondo than the GP2X? I don't want to get into (another) argument about which console is better, I'm just interested.

critical posted on Sep 14 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
Which emulators are slower on the Gizmondo than the GP2X?

It was a misguided comment by me. Having tried various emulators properly, there seems to be little difference in terms of speeds. However, the sound seems more accurate on some GP2X emulators.

ste_167 posted on Sep 19 2006 at 11:27 AM said:
critical posted on Sep 14 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
Which emulators are slower on the Gizmondo than the GP2X?

It was a misguided comment by me. Having tried various emulators properly, there seems to be little difference in terms of speeds. However, the sound seems more accurate on some GP2X emulators.
Fair comment :)

Back