Terrible Sound In Videos

The Dude

Still Fresh
Website
rgc_2.tripod.com
I used the Virtual Dub settings and the XviD decoder that I got from Gp32EU.com

GPUTILITIES

Now, I have encoded a few sample videos with it, and while the video quality is good and the A/V syncs up perfectly, the sound is just utter garbage. It sounds like I am listening to the actors get mauled by raptors over a CB radio.

Now, I have tried to get the audio encoding up to a higher level, but with these settings, it seems all of the audio compression rates are very poor. There isn't even a stereo one.

So are there better settings I should be using? Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good guide to getting videos on the GP32 with GPCinema2?

I think you'll find most people are prepared to sacrifice a little audio quality for a smaller file size.

I'm happy with 11k stuff. If I want better sound I fire up the Home Cinema system.

I use MPEG Layer 3, 40 kBits/s, 22,050 Hz and it is perfect, and I get about a megabyte a minute videos, with pretty good video quality too.

You have to put a tick in the show all format box on the right hand side of the compression window to get a wider selection of quality settings.

Trooper

You have to put a tick in the show all format box on the right hand side of the compression window to get a wider selection of quality settings.

When I do that and select a different bitrate, I get an error that "The selected conversion is not possible" when I attempt to save the final video.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I do that and select a different bitrate, I get an error that "The selected conversion is not possible" when I attempt to save the final video.

Go to the audio menu, Select conversion, Then pick the quality setting on the lefthand side of the window to match the quality you picked in the compression window. See, No error.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, the volume was up way to high (493%) so I brought that down to 100% and it made an improvement (I can actually listen to the video without headphones at minimum volume), but the audio quality is still just plain bad.

mr twit, I tried your audio settings, but again I get an error that the "Conversion is not possible" when I try to save the avi. It seems that anything that isn't on the list when I don't have "Show all formats" checked simply will not work (though I haven't tried all of them).

The current audio rate is 20 kBits/sec, 11,025 Hz, mono.

I understand sacrificing quality for the sake of compression (I am watching a movie at half FPS, after all) but I just cannot believe that any human could watch an entire film, or even a TV program, with the audio at this rate.

Thanks, trooper, that let me set other audio rates.

Now that I can set other rates, what does everyone suggest as a good compression rate for quality audio? I tried mr twit's settings, and it has good audio quality, but there is a lot of hiss.

I'm using 24kBit/s 11,025Hz Stereo 3KB/s for my movies/trailers and 18kBit/s 11,025Hz Stereo 3KB/s for my anime/cartoons.
Both are set to high quality and 11025Hz sampling rate in the Ctrl-O Options menu.
Not sure if these settings are for you but I haven't had any complaints from those happy campers downloading my trailers et all yet.

Back