Suggestions for next version

Vanguard

Still Fresh
For the next version, you might consider loading up only a screen-worth of titles from the card, then loading again when the user moves down. If I fill up my 128 mb card with .pce files, it pretty much locks up reading them.

Even with 15-20 files in a directory, it can take a little too long. Right now, I've been separating the files into directories, but it would be nice if this wasn't required.

Thanks for your work on this great emulator!

I'm going to assume you're talking about gpPCEngine, cause you didn't mention it. :D (Oh, you didn't say .pce files at one point ;)

I have the same problem. If I fill up a card with PCEngine files I have to wait up to 30 seconds for the display to list them (okay, I did put in 300)... even if I want to stop one game and load another! Gotta be selective I guess.... :p

By more directories, do you mean you can put in subdirectories? ie:

/gpmm/pcengine/1
/gpmm/pcengine/2
..etc..?

I have mine sorted into folders from A - Z, not only is it quicker to load the list it's also easier to find the game you're looking for.

Well, since this is the GPengine section of the boards, I figured I didn't have to specify. :p

Yes, I currently have mine in subdirectories under the /gpmm/gpengine directory (S1, S2, S3, T1, T2, T3...I found that about 15 roms per directory gives a reasonable load time, so I had to split up each letter of the alphabet into different subdirectories).

Technically, since GPEngine is so well designed, you can put your roms anywhere on your SMC and navigate to them, which the other GP32 emulators can't seem to do. Not that I'm blaming anyone for focusing on getting the emulators actaully working correctly, but it's certainly a nice feature

Hmm... I don't know why, but mine doesn't do the locking up thing. It takes 10-15 seconds or so (for 200 roms or thereabouts), but no minute waiting times... Its managable
However, I hadn't realised that GPengine was one of those nice emus where you're actually able to change the directory... I might bother with that (15 seconds is managable, but nothing is better).

Other ideas for the next version might include...
... Actually, apart from saving (which kinda goes without saying) - either sram or savestates - I can't think of much. Too well done :)

I suppose multiplayer might be nice, but that't just be a kinda really nice extra, not something I'd **really** like.

Oh - one other thing... The L & R buttons aren't used, are they? Well, from memory there were a couple of TURBO switches on a conrtol pad, and L+button could (possibly) be used to turn on turbo for that button... might be nice for a few of the shooter games where you're obviously intended to turn it on (a la Burning Warriors oir whatever it is).
Other than that - yippeee :)

Impressive.

I think if I had to suggest anything, I'd like to see an implementation of the PC Engine's PCM sound stuff. :ph34r: Dunno what kind of hit that would create...

Back