Subtitles For Movies

there is no gp2x sdk. they didn't release one. i think there are a few homebrew game makers, though.

Rayek posted on Dec 6 2005 at 12:38 AM said:
there is no gp2x sdk. they didn't release one. i think there are a few homebrew game makers, though.

Well, I mean these things:
Open SDK Library
Supports software development library : SDL(Simple Direct Library)
Basic Library
Graphic library (Sound library)
Hardware I/O library
(quote taken from http://www.gpx2.com/product/product_main.asp). Can't this be used for cross-compiling?

Last edited by a moderator:
BattleCattle posted on Dec 5 2005 at 05:51 AM said:
If anyone knows what the wikipedia means by "Only through hacks" and wouldn't mind explaining what said hacks are (external sub files?) please clarify, lest I continue to throw out speculations based on my limited knowledge :D

Hacks are basically things that aren't supposed to be in the format but have been added to certain files. The file should play in most/all players but if the player is coded to support the hack, it'll perform whatever it does (in that case it would display subs). An example is MP3 Pro. The file will play in any mp3 player but if you've got one that supports mp3 Pro, you'll get greatly increased sound quality.

Another hack in Avi's is variable bitrate audio. Ever wonder why it's such a pain to work with when re-encoding Avi's? Because it's not something that was designed to be implemented when the specifications of the format. It will work in pretty much any playback software but the real pain is if you have to re-encode the video which is when problems start to rear their ugly heads.

Yes it *is* a dirty hack before , it's manipulating something meant for VBR frames, not audio

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! If it's not too much to ask could anyone please confirm this! Put your avrage subtitle file (.sub or .srt) in the same directory as the movie (make sure they have the same name) and try it!

I'm waiting :/

could we port VIDEOLAN on the GP2X? :]

i've seen it adapted on some arm-based machines already so i wonder :D

My GP2X arrived today!!!

Been playing around with it, had to test subtitles, of course.
guess what, it works ^_^

initial report:
.smi - no go
.srt - yes, seems to work
.ssa - works, but occasionally goes off the screen and always has "!Effect." at the beginning of each line, and always shows this, even when theres no dialog.

I'll be trying to figure out EXACTLY what works and what doesnt over the next couple of days.

will post some pics tomorrow

*bump* finaly tested it myself now. And (yay) it works, only one problem.... it doesn't suport letters like å ä and ö, so subs on my language (Swedish) will have to wait untill some sort of update I guess :(

edit: some spelling

Back