GP32 Some Advice For A Newbie

OmarNawaz

i want learn C++ i have seen alot of books out there that claim to be for beginneers but i want to know which ones you guys reccomend.

I know i aint gonna learn C++ overnight and that it might take years before i learn to even make a basic app or might not have no appitude at all for it.

I want to start small so i can see if i have any appitude for it.

Thanks

Well, you can start with C and then C++, it took me 2 days to learn the basics and to code a starfield on the gp32.
So, don't say that it can take years, C is easy, the hard part is to make something useful/good/whatever with it.
I have a here a book that is very good for beginners, but it's in spanish.

woops sorry

Ok i found some books on the internet and plan to go through them in this order

C++ Weekend Crash Course

C++ Primer

C++ Primer Plus

C++ for dummies

How Not To Program In C++

Visual C++ Unleashed

Can you tell if this is a good way too get a good knowledge if you are unfamiliar with any of the books i could send it to see if there are any good.

Thanks for the help

woops sorry

Ok i found some books on the internet and plan to go through them in this order

C++ Weekend Crash Course

C++ Primer

C++ Primer Plus

C++ for dummies

How Not To Program In C++

Visual C++ Unleashed

Can you tell if this is a good way too get a good knowledge if you are unfamiliar with any of the books i could send it to see if there are any good.

Thanks for the help

Was the sam c++ in 21 days i PM`d any good to you ?.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.. Just looking for more info.. First off I've pretty much mastered VB6 (been employed doing it for over 4 years) It took me about 2 weeks to learn C# and a month to become pretty good at it. I've started learning C++ and only been doing it for a few hours and I like it. I'm learning pretty fast and I have books\tutorials and stuff..

My question; Is their any info about any specific stuff for doing C++ in GP32? Do I just use an available SDK and use that? Really I just wondering how you do graphics and memory managment related to GP32.

Can I use VS2003 for compiling? or is there a specific GP32 compiler?

I didn't see these answers anywhere specific so sorry for any repeats :)

With lots of GP32 love,
Andy

Sorry to be a drag (no relation to the GP32x member drag),
^_^

Anyway, the way I learned C/C++ is that I'm taking a computer science class (this is my second year, actually) in my high school (quite odd, not all high schools offer a CS class... at least, that's what I heard).

Anyway, if you want to learn C++, do NOT start with win32 programming... that's hard for a beginner, believe me because that's exactly what I tried to do. :p

In my class, we're just doing windows console programming. This is relatively simple, because we just need a basic way to do input and output without having to put a bunch of code to make a window pop up. Mainly what we code is just some problem-solving programs that do math, excercise multiple subroutines, how to do loops, inputs, output, #including stuff, and how strings are a pain in the royal arse :D.

I'd recommend taking a class, but you should only do that if you plan to major in computer science or something, because you have to learn all sorts of terminology and other programming languages and stuff like that.

Actually, I still AM learning C/C++, and GP32 programming really helps with serious practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh. when I did programming at college the computers booted to a DOS prompt... we had to type 'win' to get windows running (which was nothing to do with the class)

win95 was posh in those days... god i'm old...

Back