[Solved] My Pandora Is Slow

HackModford

OKay at first I thought this was just emulator specific. But my pandora seems slightly slower. But not in all cases 0_0

NES (overclocked to 750 mhz with cpu-settings) is slow like around 30fps
SNES (overclocked to 800 or 750mhz) 30fps

SEga seems to be fine ?weird?
N64 appears to be working fine too...
Maybe this is just emulator specific?
ScummVM is fine...
PCengine fine...

I guess what puzzles me is NES being slow. It didn't used to be? Also SNES didn't used to be so slow. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I have no clue how fast the emulators should run, but you could try background killer and see if it helps.

NES should sit @ 600 Mhz. that works fine for me. I also haven't noticed SNES being slow, maybe a bit laggy at times but not flat out slow, even @ 500Mhz

Try background killer as mali said, see if that helps =/

Okay so I go into minimenu and run background killer and nes and snes run fine. So I must have something running in the background that conflicts with them. What could it be? How would I find out?

Launch top in a terminal, that is a "process monitor". Maybe you can spot something that eats CPU.

HackModford said:
Okay so I go into minimenu and run background killer and nes and snes run fine. So I must have something running in the background that conflicts with them. What could it be? How would I find out?

Wifi?

Last edited by a moderator:
when you overclock, are you going to exactly 750 and 800? overclocking (or underclocking) to multiples of 13 presumably causes the processor to clock to around 125-150mhz and possibly causes other unknown errors. So if you are overclocking to 741, 754, 767, 780, 793, 806 etc your pandora will run very slow.

A long shot but could be your problem, this will be fixed with hotfix 4 btw.

MonkeyChops said:
when you overclock, are you going to exactly 750 and 800? overclocking (or underclocking) to multiples of 13 presumably causes the processor to clock to around 125-150mhz and possibly causes other unknown errors. So if you are overclocking to 741, 754, 767, 780, 793, 806 etc your pandora will run very slow.

When will Hotfix 4 be released? There are a couple of fixes that should be included I am really waiting for.

mrdremel said:
MonkeyChops said:

When will Hotfix 4 be released? There are a couple of fixes that should be included I am really waiting for.

Just waiting for a new minimenu version.

If you're brave, you can get a new kernel and the latest image from http://openpandora.org/firmware/
The latest image has a few fixes included and works fine (got it on my machine).

To flash it, download it, name it rootfs.img, grab the corresponding .md5-file and name it rootfs.md5
You also need to get the Pandora-Flashkit. Extract it onto the root of your SD-Card, put the rootfs files there as well, rename the kernel to uImage and gzip and tar it up (name it bootf.tgz).

You can then flash. Detailed instructions are in the Pandora-Flashkit-ZIPfile.

If you're not that brave but got a spare SD Card, you can also set this one up to boot from it.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
mrdremel said:
MonkeyChops said:

Just waiting for a new minimenu version.

If you're brave, you can get a new kernel and the latest image from http://openpandora.org/firmware/
The latest image has a few fixes included and works fine (got it on my machine).

To flash it, download it, name it rootfs.img, grab the corresponding .md5-file and name it rootfs.md5
You also need to get the Pandora-Flashkit. Extract it onto the root of your SD-Card, put the rootfs files there as well, rename the kernel to uImage and gzip and tar it up (name it bootf.tgz).

You can then flash. Detailed instructions are in the Pandora-Flashkit-ZIPfile.

If you're not that brave but got a spare SD Card, you can also set this one up to boot from it.
Well normally I would be brave, but I've finally got my Pandora set-up the way I like it. So I don't want to start with a newly flashed device all over again. I'll wait for the Hotfix I guess. I just hope it won't take too long. A bunch of good fixes coming in this hotfix.

EvilDragon said:
Hang on a minute... You mean to say that this directory contains a random kernel version with no clear way of tracking down exactly what it relates to? The readme is not yet updated, and there is no changelog...
(sorry - I'm sure you've got plenty of other stuff to worry about, but this could cause confusion)
I'll test it tonight...

That directory always has the latest images built with our changes. It's considered as being unstable.
That's why it's not linked from the main OpenPandora.org-Page yet.

A changelog isn't really needed - you always have a date when the kernel or image has been built and all changes are logged in the GIT ;)
Just check what happened in the kernel since the last release and you know what's in there :)

I am using the latest version as well. Learned how to make a .tgz in Windows.

uname -a :
Linux yoda 2.6.27.46-omap1 #1 Fri Jul 23 01:07:33 CEST 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux

cat /proc/version :
Linux version 2.6.27.46-omap1 (notaz@EDITpithos.openEDIT-pandora.org) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #1 Fri Jul 23 01:07:33 CEST 2010

cat /etc/issue :
Code:
.-------.                                           
|       |                  .-.                      
|   |   |-----.-----.-----.| |   .----..-----.-----.
|       |     | __  |  ---'| '--.|  .-'|     |     |
|   |   |  |  |     |---  ||  --'|  |  |  '  | | | |
'---'---'--'--'--.  |-----'----'--'  '-----'-'-'-'
                -'  |
                '---'

The Angstrom Distribution \n \l

Angstrom 2010.4-test-20100627 \n \l

___
Posted from Pandora using Firefox 3.6.7

I figured out why it was slow... I had the compositioning effects enabled in the windowmanager tweaks (You know... stuff like shadows around windows, etc.)

Once I shut that off it's back to normal 8D I also shut off all the startup services since I didn't really need any of them. (except maybe usb networking whatever that is)

Back